• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny fur

mrs munkee

Mama Doe
This is perhaps a bit of a strange question, but I was wondering if there's a difference between normal bunny fur and angora bunny fur. I mean I know its very soft and can be used to make wool, but is that because its actually different to standard bunny fur?

The reason I ask is I met a beautiful angora bun the other day and as he was plonked in my arms I wondered if this super fluffster was going to set my allergies off as I have always been allergic to extra fluffy animals. Anyway, he sat on my lap for nearly an hour with not so much as a tickle of my nose. so i was very pleased, but i recently started thinking was it because he was angora and will normal bun fur effect me?

when i was younger i don't remember being allergic to my buns except when stry bits of fur escaped when i was cleaning them out. any opinions guys?

I think there is more undercoat and less guard hairs. I don't think you could actually tell what would set you off without testing it though. Most rescues would probably be happy to let you do a cuddle test if you wanted.

Tam

Thanks Tamsin. I like the sound of a cuddle test!!!! :D my other half quite likes rexes and I suspect I would have little or no reaction to them the same as angoras

Thanks Tamsin. I like the sound of a cuddle test!!!! :D my other half quite likes rexes and I suspect I would have little or no reaction to them the same as angoras

If it's the loose hair that irritates your allergy I'd say a rex might be worse, the hair is much shorter and finer so floats about more when it comes loose. It makes me sneeze anyway and I'm not allergic. :)

Back