• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tetanus Jab!

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Just wondered can you ask your GP for a tetanus jab or do you have to go to hospital?

My hands and arms are covered in scratches, they dont bother me but every time my boyfriend sees the state I'm in he mentions getting a tetanus jab!
So I thought if I got one it would shut him up.

I take it you cant get in the fore-arm?

The Practice Nurse at your GPs Surgery should be able to give you a Tetnus jab. It can be given in the upper arm or the bum!!

Janex

May I respectfully ask what this has to do with rabbit care? It would help when searching for information if posts were put in the correct category.

Sorreee! I made a mistake, I'm only human!

Certainly not a problem for me to find it in rabbit care - I've been wondering about it myself as it's 11yrs since my booster - supposedly you need one every 10yrs if you work with soil or herbivore poo - I just keep forgetting :rolleyes:

I had one recently, after chopping off part of my finger whilst cutting some grass for the piggies! :oops: :lol: I think they last 10 years, and it's a combined tetanus and diptheria jab now.

Edit: I had it done at the surgery - the nurse did it

makes your arm hurt the next day......sorry for telling you that:lol:
unless you have it in the other place then you get a pain in the bum:oops:

My arm was fine! The nurse told me it might feel a bit heavy afterwards, but nothing more than that. :)

If you had all your jabs as a kid and teenager you don't need tetanas boosters every 10 years, you should have lifelong immunity. You'd only have an extra one if you had an injury that put you at a higher risk.

I got this info from a very experienced practice nurse while I was doing my nurse training a few years ago.

Nicola

Yes, the practice definitely told me that if you had a certain number of them you have lifelong immunity, but I worked out that I hadn't had them all. I can't remember all the details. :?

Ah....I remember having a diptheria one with my Polio booster at 17 so I must be up to date then.

I have had a couple in my lifetime and with each one I got a reaction i.e. fever, aches and pains in all joints etc. I better get another one so I can get time of work :lol:

Phil

I have had a couple in my lifetime and with each one I got a reaction i.e. fever, aches and pains in all joints etc. I better get another one so I can get time of work :lol:

Phil

Sounds like a good plan!:lol: :lol:

I always feel really dizzy and strange when I have jabs, when I had my hep B (which is 3 jabs altogether) I had to lie down for half an hour after

Nicola

Sounds like a good plan!:lol: :lol:

I always feel really dizzy and strange when I have jabs, when I had my hep B (which is 3 jabs altogether) I had to lie down for half an hour after

Nicola

I always lay down when i have jabs.. when i had the first hep B jab i passed out!:oops: :lol:

If I remember rightly you need to have 3 or is it 4 for immunity... and theres no point having a tetanus after youve cut/hurt yourself ,as apparently if its already inside you the vaccine wont work (assuming you not immume). If in doubt ask the nurse, I'm not due for another 2 years, phew!

I don't know how old you are but in the UK and if your 13 - 14 you automaticly get it in year 9 of your school years - My sister had it before and apparently it hurts for quite a while afterwards so i'm a bit worried there :shock: :roll: :cry:
Although you get it in the opposite arm to what one you write with - i'm still worried :roll:

Back