• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed is my bunny?

Hi, I rescued this bunny from a child care centre and was wondering if anyone knew what breed/s he might be? He is at least one year old and weighs 1.75 kg, or 3.85 pounds. I fell in love with his chubby cheeks and grumpy face! His name is Gritz, which means grey in Maltese.

Gritz1.jpg

Thanks for your replies! I think he's pretty adorable too. He was found in a child care centre playground that I work at and they had put him in a metal hutch with drinking water from a bottle that had gone green and I took him home as soon as I saw him! They meant well but didn't want the extra responsibility of taking care of a rabbit.

Raven Rexs, I thought he might be part Netherland Dwarf too because his ears are so small! He has a solid little body though.

Elve, I'm sure he is a mix of some sort but he has such a funny, chubby face that I wondered what breed has that feature?

Some kind of Nethie cross, otter trimings but not sure what the coat colour is? Looks like a smokey fawn or is it agouti? Hard to tell in pictures. He is gorgeous anyway!

Awww, he is a little cutie isn't he? The little ears and solid frame make him look like a netherland dwarf cross. Whatever he is, he's lovely :).

He is lovely :)

As everyone has said, definitely a nethy x. I find them to be proper 'chunky monkeys' with muscley little bodies.

Inimical Me, I didn't know the solid frame was a Netherland characteristic. I've only seen them in pet shops and they're always quite young. I've never seen a fully grown Netherland Dwarf. Thanks for clearing that up!

Lspacehopper, Chester is gorgeous! Gritz is a chunky monkey too, that's a great description! He is full of character as well, a real grunter! He grunts so much! So funny!

MY daughter has a REW Netherland Dwarf (his name is Bobby Carrot!!!:lol: ) and he is a 'Chunky Monkey' TOO!:lol: :D

Your bunny is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!:D :D

Hey folks!! Looks like we've just invented a new breed definition:lol: From now on all nethie crosses will be known as Chunky monkeys..now we need to list the possible colourways!!:lol: :lol:
BTW Gritz is a gorgeous example of a Chunky Monkey:)

Ha ha, I love it! I've been calling Gritz my "chunky monkey" now after hearing the description, or "monkey" for short! It makes me think of my other bunnies' nicknames and their breeds, sometimes I call Gritz "piggy" because he grunts and snorts a lot. I have a Giant Flemish cross called Casper who I also call "sloth" because he loves to laze around, Binky is a wild rabbit who is (obviously) a little more nervous than the rest so I call him "tweak" after the South Park character who is a child that drinks coffee and is very nervous and jumpy. I also have a bunny who is part Havana called Elvis whose nickname is "crazy" 'cause he just races around the house like a crazy bunny.

Back