• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Helping Fight Snuffles!!

Ok So My Bunnie Has Snuffles Its Going Around Pets At Home!!! Well I Have A Bit Of A Boost You Know That Plain Yoghurt Thingy Called Total well at maximum 3 a week >>> Ok So They Need Half A Tea Spoon Cuz Its Got A Bit Of Antibiotic ot good stuff in it or something anyway it helps get rid of it a bit sooooo Try it!;) Trust Me

Thanx :bunny: :rabbit2:

I presume you`re talking about a yoghurt that has pro-biotic in it?
If so this just helps promote healthy bacteria in their gut, which can help when they`re on medication, i:e: antibiotics. Personally i would not give dairy products to rabbits as it`s not good for them but would buy some probiotic from your vet or you can get it from some pet shops or online, then you can just add it to their water.

Su.x

Yes, please get a pro-biotic which is for rabbits. Rabbits are naturally dairy intolerant and so can't process the pro biotics in yoghurt. Bio-lapis and Avipro are powders you can add to food/water which will be very helpful.

Snuffles is not helped by pro-biotics - these are for gut problems. Go and see your vet, who should prescribe an ANTI-biotic like Baytril or Septrin.

I was advised to give my rabbit just plain live yoghurt whilst on anti biotics - it's cheaper than the huge tube of probiotic you get from the vets - he said so himself! I think as long as you only give it with the anti b and not just cos they like it, it is OK. OP is 9 years old - perhaps we could have a thread just for the under 15's or something??

OP is 9 years old - perhaps we could have a thread just for the under 15's or something??

I understand the op is only young but i don`t see how it`s wrong to advise her the correct meds/probiotics to give, you`re never to young to learn.:D

Su.x

:) I'm sorry if you misunderstood, I didn't mean it was wrong to give advice - I think it's brilliant that young children come on this site to gain more information to enable them to do a better job of looking after their pets.

Having 'spoken' with op she didn't explain herself very well in her post - her rabbit is on anti biotics for snuffles - the yoghurt was to counteract any gut bacteria being killed off.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well either. When I mentioned a forum for young people I meant it as somewhere they could go to ask questions etc. and perhaps anyone responding would be able to gauge their reply better knowing posters were only very young ie: not good at explaining things.

I still stand by what I was told by my vet though - that ONLY whilst they are on anti biotics, probiotic yoghurt is fine and for my bun, it was a really great way to get his medicine down him - I knew he got his full dose! :)

Back