• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

keeping bunnies in a group

curlygirl

New Kit
I'm after some advice but first let me explain my situation...
I started out in January with 4 rabbits, Mum, neutered Dad and 2 female babies (about 5 months at that time).
We moved house this June and during the move my brood went to stay with my brother, who also keeps rabbits. One of his un-neutered males ended up getting together with my Mummy rabbit, and she had 10 babies. 7 survived and are now 9 weeks old.
All 11 are now living together quite companiably. I have 4 male babies and 3 females. I have a really large hutch and run so space isn't an issue.
What I am interested to know is if anyone has any experience of keeping rabbits in a mixed sex group long term. Does it work? Will they be happy?
Obviously I will get the males neutered, and in time, the females speyed, so no further babies will emerge!
Look forward to hearing your experiences

Quite a few people on here have got large groups, I'm sure they'll be along in a minute to offer advice! I've only got pairs so I'm not much help, sorry

I'd love to see some piccys though!!

Nicola

wow thats brilliant a proper rabbit colony you got yourself! id love a group as said before sure that a few of the group owners will grab the chance to tell u how great it is... wud love a group its just my one bun i got now most iv kep is pairs.... good luck with your brood! :)

I've got a group of 14 that live together, mixed sexes, all neutered, all unrelated except for three of the boys and two of the girls and they get along fine. I reckon with yours all being family they'll be a very closely knit group although you will have to look at seperating the baby boys from Mum in the not too distant future to avoid enlarging the family!

That's really good to hear, I was afraid they would fight, especially the males.
When you say separate the boys from Mum, do you mean just while they get neutered? They should be able to be "done" soon shouldn't they?

That's really good to hear, I was afraid they would fight, especially the males.
They should be able to be "done" soon shouldn't they?

Wow that's a big group! Our vet does the boys from 4 months but I personally would not keep boy buns with un spayed females after 8 weeks

I'll be interested to see how the group dynamic changes as they reach maturity-good luck!:D

The males can be neutered form as young as 12 wks, basically as soon as their plums drop. But they can remain fertile for upto 6 wks after neutering.
Is there anyway you could house them near the girlies whilst they`re still fertile so they can still see/smell each other? Then hopefully they`ll bond back together easier.

Good luck with your lovely big group
Su.x

Back