• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits swim?!?

suzy_d

Alpha Buck
Bit random but I was just wondering if rabbits could swim? One of those days when you just ponder...!!!

xx

ahh I see... well I learn something new everyday! Can't imagine my bunnys swimming though.... they turn their noses up at rain! :rolleyes:

xx

They can swim, just like most other mammals.
Yet I wouldn't force a rabbit into the water as if it gets wet too often it can destroy their fur, also if they don't dry up they can get a cold.

humm I'm a bit disturbed actually if you look on you tube and type in rabbit swimming there are videos of people voluntarily putting their rabbits in their swimming pools so they can swim.... doesnt seem right to me! :cry:

xx

I saw one on the news where a labrador chased a rabbit, rabbit jumped into a pond and the dog went in, the rabbit climbed on his back, and the dog actually bought the rabbit back to land - no joke! And it looked like a wild rabbit so don't think it was a stunt, but strange someone "happened" to be filming :?
I couldn't believe it as at first I thought the dog was going after the rabbit to kill it, so was watching through my fingers. I really couldn't believe what I saw, but the rabbit swam well and hopped off fine :)

I've always imagined that rabbits could swim, although obviously I've never tested the theory! The rabbits swim in Watership Down, don't they? (you know, that well known factual rabbit documentary :oops: :oops: )

I remember someone in the states on some site saying they had a pond and the buns swam in it in the summer when they get stupid hot temps. The buns just went for a dip when they felt like it

oscar did but we let the water drain more and he did and got umpy when we took him out..when he got out himself he begged to be put back in! but bif...shes a furry mermaid and loves being in water and doesnt so much doggy paddle as glide! and mooch..walkng on the bottom...
but it was soooo hot last summer 2006..the only complaint oscar amde was bif pooping in the water like she always does.it relaxes her and she lets it all out..not from fear..but relaxed muscles.i am serious!

they dont choose to swim..all animals will swim to survive but there are instances when they seem to be happy and hop in and out of paddling pools merrily and enjoy being bathed or butt bathed in a sink too..like bif!

diff folks diff strokes..bunnies too i guess!

Thats funny myself and dad were talking about that the other day. he was telling me he was out one day walking by a lake and saw a rabbit being chased, by something cant remember what and the bunny took a flying leap into the lake, swam across got out the other side shook looked back and there was the predator not going in for a dip and bunny hopped off. How cute!

Back