• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this safe

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Ive got a new rabbit run which is on concrete, wondered how safe it would be to leave the rabbits in it all day unsupervised? its a proper wood and fox proof mesh with a lid on it...

thanks x

I have mine on concrete slabs and they can go into their hutch whenever they want (it's a combo). I let them have the run day and night, I think it is safe enough.

cool thankyou. just discussed this with my partner. im a panicker lol x

I am always worried, too, but as long as they have some kind of shelter, enough water (bowl AND bottle, to be on the safe side) and enough food and hay, they should be fine. There are some bunnies who die of shock when they see a fox or cat, but mine just watch interested, when an animal walks through our garden, they don't panic. If they can hide in a shelter, even the more nervous bunnies should be ok.

Yes, it's perfectly safe and, as BB said, as long as they have a place to shelter(from the sun as well as the rain) and hay to nibble on, they'll be fine.:)

The only concern i would have with that is if a fox did come in to your garden it could tip the run up - however, i did used to leave my bun in the run all day but used to worry all day about him.

I am always worried, too, but as long as they have some kind of shelter, enough water (bowl AND bottle, to be on the safe side) and enough food and hay, they should be fine. There are some bunnies who die of shock when they see a fox or cat, but mine just watch interested, when an animal walks through our garden, they don't panic. If they can hide in a shelter, even the more nervous bunnies should be ok.

hey i got home from shopping and they're bouncing about fine and dandy. there was a cat sat in the garden the other day when i had thm in thier old run and they were fine... id never left them in thier outdoor run on thier own you see x

I admit that I leave my bunnies out in the runs too, we exercise them (normally) in 4-6 hour stints so if I was to never leave them unsupervised they would only be getting the odd couple of hours here and there, which is nowhere near enough for them.

I'm sure the run is safe enough and nothing could get in. However, my concern would be the fright your buns could get if anything were to come into the garden. It's been said that I fright is enough to scare a bun to death, either from shock or from running away so fast that they injure themselves :? Personally I would be very cautious about leaving them all day unsupervised. But that's just me and I've never had an outdoor bunny.

Our buns have a run attached to their hutch but are never able to access the run if no one is at home. The run is not accessible at night either. I just wouldn't risk it - who knows what could be going on when we are in the land of nod.

Our buns have access to our garden morning and night (supervised only as the neighbour's cat does come onto our fences - despite having two sonic cat deterrents - and they won't run for shelter they lie very flat where they are and once the cat has gone they thump for England!!

Mine have a combo hutch & run on paving slabs they have access to 24/7. They also have an outer run covered with pond mesh they have access to in the evenings or when I'm around. But I will leave them in it for a couple of hours unsupervised cause I feel guilty forcing them inside if I need to go to the shops etc. The biggest threat is the local cats - but so far although they "act" hunting, they've not actually tried to get in, and the rabbits are learning to stand their ground which doesnt trigger the hunt response in the cat of course. They were nose to nose tonight with the mesh in between.

I'm sure the run is safe enough and nothing could get in. However, my concern would be the fright your buns could get if anything were to come into the garden. It's been said that I fright is enough to scare a bun to death, either from shock or from running away so fast that they injure themselves :? Personally I would be very cautious about leaving them all day unsupervised. But that's just me and I've never had an outdoor bunny.

I'm sad to say that our first bunny died from shock. This was very distressing for us and i wouldn't want anyone to experience such a thing.

If your accommodation isn't secure enough to leave them while you're at home then it's not secure enough full stop. there are plenty of people that have seen foxes in their garden. they don't wait until you go out to come around. People have had house rabbits taken when a fox has walked in the back door or a fox has come in the garden and they've had to case it out.

So long as it's fox proof and they have shelter they'll be okay. They need somewhere undercover and secure feeling to go though otherwise they'll panic and then thay can cause problems.

Tam

Back