• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decision Help!!!

Smudge101

New Kit
I have been thinking about having my male (6 mths) Neutered.
But yesterday my friend told me that the risk of him dying whilst under the anesthetic is high. I have completely changed my mind.

I want to do whats best for my bunny, but i dont want to lose him.

Help !

Theres always a risk but thats the same even when humans go under the knife. I would personally get him neutered, it will improve his behaviour, temprament etc and then that way you can get him a spayed female so he has a wife to keep him company x

You are right to be cautious as lots of vets don't know how to treat rabbits. Have a look at this questionnaire for vets, and don't be shy to ask your vet if they use isofluorane gas and a sedative, for example, as rabbits don't recover well from normal anaesthetic used for cats/dogs. There is very little risk for a boy's op if you have a rabbit friendly vet who has attended small animal conferences to update since vet college (that's what I asked my vet if they'd done too) - the boy's op isn't a major internal op like for a girl bunny, and so they don't need to be under anaesthetic as long, and usually recover very quickly :) http://www.mybunny.org/info/vet_questionnaire.htm

The risk is very small for male rabbits. You will probably find your bunn is hoping round as usual a few hours after his op, but it is important you find a vet experienced in rabbit neuters.

Hi!

I was really worried about getting Loki neutered too (I'm a worrier!), but I asked my vet about the procedure and how many rabbits they see a week and how many had complications and it made me feel much better. Getting a vet you can trust and are confident in is the most important thing. Loki has been so much better since he was neutered, no more humping of my arms & legs for one thing and he is so much more relaxed. It is a worry, but Loki was apparantly biting at the cage bars to come out about 30mins after he came around from his op :roll:

I hope all goes well

def go for it! check all the details with your vet like the others have said, but he will be so happy in the future if you can get him a girlfriend - they are so so so sociable. Imagine if you never saw another human, let alone to chat and play with!

Also I would suggest searching for all posts about neutering in the past on here. All the happy success stories will boost your confidence no end.

My vet said my bunny is so soft she doesn't want to do it. He is seriously mellow though loves being carried and jumps up at my leg to be picked up and carried like a baby. Don't worry everyone she is rabbit savy

Squidgy was neutered this year at the grand old age of 5. He's a nethie and only weighs a kilo! I trust my vets and Squidgy was fine - a little woozy when he came round adn needed some meds to get his tummy going again, but he's definitely a happier boy - much more chilled.

Charlie was neutered at about 5 months old. He was absolutely fine after - I took a bowl of his nuggets in for when he came around after the op and he ate the lot!! He was a bit 'uncomfortable' when he got home but we left him alone, then at about 9pm, he 'ran' downstairs to come and see us just like normal!! No problems and a much calmer and happier bun!!

Back