• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing Fits (NO SNOT!!!) 1st Rabbit "SOLVED"

Bananaman

New Kit
Well,
After months of pestering I have brought the good lady a rabbit and now I find myself here for some advice......................

When we put Fudge into his indoor cage he has a fit of sneezes for about 10-15 seconds at a time, no wet nose, no snot, nothing......

He has these about every 30 minutes and he looks distressed:cry:

His feet go up and down with the fits then he lies down, he eats fine, drinks and goes mad in the garden

He is only 9 weeks old and the missus is scared if something is wrong, we took him to the vets today and his temp was fine

We have removed sawdust from both his hutches to see if its that but he is still doing it.....

Please help

Last edited:
Hi!! :wave: Welcome to the forum. Not been long here myself but have found it invaluable!!! Hope you do too! :D

Is it just when you put him in the hutch or have you noticed him sneezing in the garden?

Hi!! :wave: Welcome to the forum. Not been long here myself but have found it invaluable!!! Hope you do too! :D

Is it just when you put him in the hutch or have you noticed him sneezing in the garden?

Mmmm he does in the garden a bit but when we bring him in it happens more, I thought it was breathing in sawdust when he was eatin a carrot, we emptied his indoor hutch earlier and replaced with straw and put him back but he still does it, with him being so young we are concerned

I will nip into the hello section when I get a second:wave:

Bit of an update, he is sat here and as soon as he starts to clean himself he starts sneezing, quite violently!!................

Any ideas:oops:

Are you sure he is not cleaning himself because he is sneezing? It sounds like he has snuffles to me. Rabbits ahve an area known as their 'hankerchief' on the inside of their front paws, is this area damp or matted? Some times they dont produce a lot of 'snot' but get a little damp.

Rabbits tend to be born predisposed to illnesses such as snuffles so it is likely he will suffer from it for life. It can be controlled using antibiotics but you need to act quickly when you notice him having another attack, it can spiral into something worse like Pneumonia if left untreated and can scar the lung tissue.

A course of antibitics is about £5-6.

That said he could have an allergy to something.

Are you sure he is not cleaning himself because he is sneezing? It sounds like he has snuffles to me. Rabbits ahve an area known as their 'hankerchief' on the inside of their front paws, is this area damp or matted? Some times they dont produce a lot of 'snot' but get a little damp.

Rabbits tend to be born predisposed to illnesses such as snuffles so it is likely he will suffer from it for life. It can be controlled using antibiotics but you need to act quickly when you notice him having another attack, it can spiral into something worse like Pneumonia if left untreated and can scar the lung tissue.

A course of antibitics is about £5-6.

That said he could have an allergy to something.

Thanks, neither of his paws are wet or even damp....

If the vet took his temp today which was fine would that not highlight snuffles/cold?

Back to the vets me thinks.....

Errr...ask Jane.....not sure if they run a temperature, significant or otherwise, with snuffles.

It may be worth asking for him to go onto a course of Baytril to see if it has any effect on his condition. You may also want to offer him so probiotics in his water to help support his immune system and any damage the anitbiotics may do to his gut flora.

Errr...ask Jane.....not sure if they run a temperature, significant or otherwise, with snuffles.

It may be worth asking for him to go onto a course of Baytril to see if it has any effect on his condition. You may also want to offer him so probiotics in his water to help support his immune system and any damage the anitbiotics may do to his gut flora.

Thanks so much for your help, I know he has been getting every concievable vitamin the pet shop advised, more than I take!!!

One last question, how long should you leave him to see if it gets worse or better on its own in case its an allergy?

I don't want to cause him any undue discomfort but as you say antibiotics at such a young age can't be good for him:(

How long have you had him and how long has he been sneezing for?

Broad spectrum antibiotics such as Baytril (the only one actually specifically licensed for use in rabbits I believe) are actually pretty safe but they do tend to indiscriminatley destroy good and bad bacteria and a rabbits gut relies on some bacteria to help with digestion and bowel movement.

Offering a probiotic will limit any unwanted damage and help maintain the good gut flora throughout the antibiotic course, we usually continue it for up to 7 days after finishing treatment too.

Last edited:
is the food dusty try damping his food ever so slightly or putting abit of virgin olive oil on there.
is he digging in the garden getting bits of dirt up his nose.
check to see if theres any hay or straw up his nostral i found a massive piece in my ones nose once abouty 1 half long:shock: was sneezing her brains out.
try listening to her chest see if you your self can hear any chesty nosie on the chest.

How long have you had him and how long has he been sneezing for?

Only had him a week, and he started sneezing the day after he was let in the garden, we got him an indoor hutch for nights the same day.....

He only does it when we bring him in, I will check his nostrils but now you mention it he has been enjoying his diggin in the garden!!!

Welcome :wave: What is his hay like? As they have constant access to hay, if it is dusty then I think that can make them sneezy too. My bun used to sneeze when he was on sawdust when he was a baby, still a little when I took that away, but since I have been getting dust free hay he hasn't sneezed hardly at all! Hope you can work out what it is and that it isn't anything serious :)

If you really can't find any snot or any other sign of illness and neither can your vet then he may have hayfever or a similar allergy. Sooty's allergic to tree pollen we think so was sneezing from feb to april. No sign now.

Your bun could be allergic to grass pollen or something similar or if it's only in the house maybe your cleaning agent, any plug in smelly things or ermm dust :oops: I think they can take antihistamines, although they would have to be recomended by the vet.

Do you have your central heating on? Just a long shot but apparently that makes them a bit worse! Could you have a word with whoever you bought him from? Perhaps they could shed some light on it.

I am not for one minute suggesting you have the same problem but my Charlie has snuffles and has since we first got him - had I gone back to the pet shop straight away in March, I would have made them pay my vet bills!! :evil: Think it's a bit late for me but I have paid well in excess of £200 for treatment and it's still ongoing! Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't change anything, I love him to pieces but I'm cross that the pet shop sell animals who are not 100% to naive people like me!!! :oops: :roll:

I can't remember him ever having a temperature when he was sneezing and to start with there wasn't any discharge - Perhaps the slight stress of moving house has disturbed him a little?

our Zeb sneezed not stop and violently for the first 3 weeks we had him. it was really upsetting to watch and my first thoughts were snuffles too. but the vet could find nothing wrong with him and he eventually grew out of it. we think it was actually stress related as he was quite timid when we got him but eventually he settled in and the sneezing fits disappeared.

he still has the odd sneezing fit now when we put him in the car which he hates.

its probably worth a vet visit though just to get him checked out

SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its the hay!!!!

no sneezing he is just not starting to throw his stuff all around his hutch!!!

Thanks all, will post up some pics when I get some uploaded:D

Thanks for all that!
I going to check out which and which with Fiver as he does have sneezing fit for past 6 weeks, I could not work out why!

problem i think I now need to check:
1. bathroom redoing for last 6 weeks now finished!
2. New hay 6 weeks ago
3. Hayfever
4. digging around garden - never though look at his nose

Vet did check him out and could not find anything wrong - cant be snuffle??

We had the same problem with Tilly, took her to the vest and they said it was not snuffles, we tried different types of bedding etc, and eventually after about 9 months she just stopped.

I really would not worry too much if there is no discharge and he is eating/drinking properly

I have had the same problem with my nwe nethie i got. She snezes only now and again but she always sounded chesty but no snot or wet paws only now and again her nose damp. So took her to the verts to get checked over and she is a bit aggressive so the vet thinks it is just her being vocal when we go near her. I thought it was snuffles and was and still is worried. The vet says if she starts having discharge or snw=eezing fits to take her straight back. Had her a month now she is still the same but no discharge so i have no idea other than she is being vocal and it sound like she is chesty but not :shock:

Back