• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you cover your hutch with?

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
.. on a night?

I've just used an old flannel sheet and tarpauline... but I'm worried it's either going to be too much or not enough

Nothing in the summer and Autumn, but a hutch cover with a layer of thick bubble wrap underneath in the winter(around the time that the clocks change)

I'm just really paranoid.

I've moved them outside today, Kayj boarded them for a few days for me and had them outside and she said they were fine and everything, so I thought I'd carry on the trend and put them in their happy hutch.

The hutch floor is covered with hay and i've put a blanket in the bed area with a heat pad underneath. I'm just worried that they'll freeze or i'll suffocate them =[ I'm close to bringing them back in tonight

They'll be too hot. It's not cold out, you've put hay in for them and they have each other to snuggle with so they'll be fine. I'd remove the heat pad though:)

It's freezing where I am lol, and they both feel quite cold to touch. I've only put the heat pad in the bed area... if they don't want to use it they wont lay on it will they?

I feel really bad that they're outside full stop.

They surely dont need a heat pad yet!:shock: If theyre staying outside dont they need to go through the season change ready to grow a winter coat.:?

I'm in Liverpool, so I know not far from where you are Hilda but I'm freezing - I must be ill or something.

I'll take the heatpad out then. It's just they've been in my house since I got them, so I'm just being a worrier :oops:

I cover mine with material my step dad gets at his work. Polythene for the rain so that it doesnt wet the hutch or that. In winter i normally put black material under the polythene to make it warmer for them. So its good! xx

:wave: Any outdoor bunnies I've had have coped very well with cold - much better than with heat :)

Mine never had a heat pad :? (unless they were unwell or convalescing in which case they were inside)

I think I'm just worried cos these have been indoor bunnies for all of their life. They were fine at Kayj's but I'm just a worrier.

Sorry

Try not to worry. It's good that they are out now as they'll have plenty of time to build up their coats for winter, and try not to panic when you see them sitting out in the rain instead of dashing for cover:lol: Mine are driven under cover only by hailstones!!! Floss looked like a drowned rat one afternoon and as i was worried about her getting too damp , I went to bring her in to towel her down, but as I got to the run she stood up and did a sort of nose to tail shake, all the water sprayed from her in a fan shape around her and when I picked her up even the top coat was just slighly damp but her skin was dry. We do worry too much..(all of us!).. bunnies are built for a life al-fresco:lol:).

Rabbits are more at risk from heat than from cold...that is not saying you should let them freeze...
Summer heat kills more unprotected bunnies than the winter chills.
Keeping bunnies out of wind is very important so a cover that keeps draughts from the hutch is a good idea...when it gets really cold lots more hay and if bun is under the weather or we have ice then a heat pad can be added.

Also make sure rain cannot blow into the hutch so again a cover to stop that is advised..but with all covers make sure there is adeqaute ventilation .

Aslong as the rabbit has time in the milder months to build up a winter coat and adjust to the gradual cooling of the seasons..with a front cover and lots of warm bedding..and hopefully a partner to snuggle up to..they should be fine.:D

I use a tarpaulin...or you can buy a cheap shower curtain from Asda or similar for 99p..keep in place with some bricks..works well for rain and wind..you can put soem old carpet or a blanket under for extra insulation when the winter does arrive

We use tarps too, £2.99 for a large sheet with eyeholes in Wilkinsons.

When I was younger we used to put an old duvet under Rowans tarp to keep him insulated during the winter.

I have plastic on a frame which fits into the wired door of our hutch for when it is really windy/rainy.

In the winter I use a piece of hessian backed carpet for the front of the hutch but only if the temperature drops below zero. I just make sure that they have plenty of straw to snuggle into bit they spend most of the night sitting at the door of their day side anyway. Their hutch has felt all over it so it is well protected from the rain too.

Bunnies can survive most of the elements - the main one to worry about is damp.

I bought a ground sheet which I tie onto the top and sides of their run if it is too rainy for them to get out into the garden - at least then they can get out and eat some dry grass.

Back