• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ruby may have heart problems...

I went to visit my new vet this evening, she was fantastic and knew Jane (which I didn't know!:lol: ). However, it's not good news.:(

Because of Ruby's condition Judith couldn't do an x-ray or a culture, so she couldn't be sure, but she thinks that Ruby may have heart failure - which is causing a build up of fluids in her lungs.:( She then went on to say that she knew a person with a lot of rexes who suspects that rexes may be more prone to heart problems, at this point I asked "is her name Jane?";)

Judith pescribed a duiretic for Ruby to get rid of the fluid on her lungs, and Septrin antibiotic just in case there is an infection. My poor baby, I feel so bad for her, I just want her to get better.:cry: :cry: :cry:

Awwww :( Sounds like she's in good hands anyway - hopefully her condition will be managed and she'll improve :)

Awwww Jess I am sorry Judith did not have good news for you.
BUT the Frusemide will really help Ruby feel A LOT more comfy. The Rex I have here at the mo' (Ned) who is in chronic heart failure has been on injections of Frusemide twice a day plus an oral med to lower his Blood pressure (FORTEKOR) for over 6 months. Ned would not be alive now if it were not for the medication.
Although the Frusemide wont 'cure' Ruby it will mean her quality of life is greatly enhanced.

I have bent poor Judith's ear many a time re Rex Rabbits and heart disease.....:oops: :oops:

Janex

Thanks Elve - I hope so.:)

Jane - I was hoping you'd see this, as I know you have buns with heart probs. I really hope Ruby's condition can be controlled, it's just such a shock. I hate to sound morbid - but I don't want to think of her dying from a heart problem, I want her to grow old and healthy.:cry: Fingers crossed the Frusemide helps - for now she is on a fairly small does (0.2ml twice a day) as Judith wants to see how she copes with the drug at first, then if it works increase the dosage.

Thanks Elve - I hope so.:)

Jane - I was hoping you'd see this, as I know you have buns with heart probs. I really hope Ruby's condition can be controlled, it's just such a shock. I hate to sound morbid - but I don't want to think of her dying from a heart problem, I want her to grow old and healthy.:cry: Fingers crossed the Frusemide helps - for now she is on a fairly small does (0.2ml twice a day) as Judith wants to see how she copes with the drug at first, then if it works increase the dosage.

For Ned the Frusemide saved his life. He was literally at deaths door :cry:
We know we cant make his heart better but we can help it cope.
Ned is a very happy boy and tolerates his twice daily injections and once-a-day oral meds very well.

I relly hope Ruby responds well to the treatment

Janex

Sorry you had such bad news about your rabbit.

Is Fortekor used in dogs too? Im sure O ordered it for my bosses dog online (with a prescription) she has been using it for years now.

My cat had heart problems like that and his chest just kept filling up with fluid and he had to have his chest drained every week. Unforunately, Sir Tomski-Mog was also ill with a horrible virus, very similar to cat flu at the time, and he didn't make it. I miss him.

I hope your bunny will be ok. They're strong little animals really, they just play it down for the extra love and attention :D

Thanks guys.:D I just really hope the Frusemide helps, then at least we will know we are on to something and can increase the dosage.

Jane - do you think the Frusemide is better taken orally or via injection?

Jane - do you think the Frusemide is better taken orally or via injection?

I give Ned his via injection as it is faster acting and I can titrate the doses more easily. At the moment he is on O.5mg every 12 hours. The timing of the injections is important as going over the 12 hours means Ned struggles :cry:

He is also on 0.6mg Fortekor (given orally) every 24 hours. I have to cut a 2.5mg tab into 4 using a razor blade!! I feel like a drugie!! :roll: :lol:

Yes Sooz, Fortekor is used for Dogs :)

Janex

Back