• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy hutch

duracell

Alpha Buck
I just took delivery of my brand new happy hutch which my loving and mostly willing partner has assembled for me and the buns.:D

The thing is though , and I say this with a whisper as I know how many happy happy hutch owners there are here:oops: , (indeed that is why I baught one) I am not altogether happy with it.:shock:

It was supposed to have a run 20" high and it is only 18" high! Also one of the bits of wood that stops the door is already broken (looks like it split when they put the screws in.

The ramp will never take my buns weight either, I will have to reenforce it with something.

I was so excited when it arrived and now I feel a little let down :cry:

Check out some of my previous posts - I'm still in dispute with them. Get on the phone to them immediately and tell them. Take lots of photo's. Back up phone conversations with emails/letters summarising phone calls.

Mine had a broken bit of wire to the run and they said I could return it but I couldn't be bothered so I just mended it myself - maybe that's why they haven't improved - I guess if you are handy enough to assemble it they assume you can fix bits - but you shouldn't have to! :?

I'm suprised about the ramp though - mine are so strong I have the unused one as a base for the hutch, because my patio is uneven (Benny just jumps up through the hole with no ramp)

Another thing - isn't one of your rabbits huge? You might find he needs the hole for the ramp enlarging or he'll knock his back using it.

He is larger than adverage but far from huge. He loves to squeeze through gaps in the house so I am gonna wait and see on the size of hole, can be adjusted if need be though.

What is really bothering me though is the 2" missing from the hight of the run:roll:

I'm surprised about the ramp too.... and I'm pretty sure my run is at least 2ft....as a tip I actually screwed rubber feet on mine which raises it about an inch and saves the bottom from rotting as quickly.

If youre not happy though, defo tell em.

Last edited:
I wasnt happy with the last ones they made for me, they were out of shape, not done to my exact requirements and also made with cheap plywood instead of the T&G they were supposed to be made of :censored: I sent them a couple of polite emails telling them I was not happy with them, the second of which I told them I would never use them again or recommend them as I STILL have not had a reply :evil: I will always get mine from www.rehutches.com now, bit more expensive but far better quality and perfectly made.

I wasnt happy with the last ones they made for me, they were out of shape, not done to my exact requirements and also made with cheap plywood instead of the T&G they were supposed to be made of :censored: I sent them a couple of polite emails telling them I was not happy with them, the second of which I told them I would never use them again or recommend them as I STILL have not had a reply :evil: I will always get mine from www.rehutches.com now, bit more expensive but far better quality and perfectly made.

I emailed them about the plywood hutches and said I wouldn't recommend them any more - they've now changed them back to T&G on most of the range. But still a bit hit and miss with the quality. But then again, cheap for what they are! Depends what you are prepared to put up with I guess :?

Mine is tounge and groove. I have adapted the ramp so it will be fine and to be honest I knew it would not be the best quality in the world but they are mostly house brabbits so I was not too worried.

I do wish the run was taller tho.

My run is 2ft tall, but I wasn't totally satisfied with the quality of the hutches either. I don't like the plywood very much, and both my hutches arrived damaged. The piece of wood that holds the ramp in place, broke off, as it is only stapled to the ramp, and the ramp crashed down into the run. The screws for the hinges on the roof are much too short. On a stormy day, the roof got blown open and the hinges got bent and some screws came out of the wood. I have now secured the roof with a padlock (a wooden stick wasn't enough :oops: ). I also had to put sealant around the hutch, as water was leaking in through the edges of the plywood. Never had water problems with the T&G hutch.

Well the buns are both in there now and he seems to quite enjoy the ramp and they seem to like the whole thing so alls well that ends well I suppose :D

My run is tall enough for them to jump and binky about :D And the ramp seems really strong to me. I have plywood but didnt know about T&G when I ordered them.

Im just happy I got them because you cant buy 6ft hutches over here and I had to pretty much beg the guy to send me some :lol: I dont think they are a bad price, looking at hutches in pet shops here. I brought a 5 ft hutch with no run attached from a pet shop for £100 and my happyhutch combo was £110 :D Although by the time I paid postage it would have worked out cheaper to get sheds!

Just to let you know I sent a message to these guys, because if this were my business I would want to know if some one was sending out merchandise that was not as described. It has taken 4 weeks to get a response that was not a standard reply and it was rude and surly. I had not asked for anything I was just making sure he knew I am no free loader.

However I have handed this over to my ebay business manager now and he is gonna "Make sure this guy cleans up his customer service" in the mean time be warned that they seem to be going through some thing right not so I would not rely on them if you don't have to.

Well I paid through paypal and have just claimed back my money, that should get their attention. I only wanted an appology.

Isn't that wierd :shock: whenever I email I get a same-day response from the manager, and very nice too :?

Same here Elve I found him really polite and helpful :? There was no need for him to be rude to you I hope you get this sorted x

Same here - I dont like being fobbed off. I had a statement from the saying trading standards wrote their advice about knots, and that holes in the side of the hutch was therefore a 'natural defect'. My local Trading Standards mentioned something about 'abuse of consumer legislation' so I will be trying to get hold of them again today.

Ooooh how odd! Whenever I have spoken to him, he always seem very nice, wonder if he's going through some sort of 'crisis'..... makes you wonder!

Duracell, I think your right to claim your money back, if he's staring to be rude to people he needs to be told, many people on RU have bought from him and if his goods and manners arent up to scratch, he could do himself out of a lot of business.

Back