• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

too many litter boxes in hutch

Trines

Young Bun
hi everyone

I am currently the owner of two lovely bonded bunnies, Katrina got a friend two weeks ago!! before bean moved in we just had the one litter tray in the sleeping area, she was a really well trained rabbit. However since Bean has moved in he used the whole sleeping area and all of the other corners in the hutch :shock: . I now have two litter trays in the sleeping area and one litter tray at the other end of the hutch. he is no longer 'toileting' in the hutch :) but uses all of the litter trays. However with winter approaching I am worried that they have no room to sleep in the covered, warm part of the hutch (as it is just now they both sleep in the open part) :? . do you think that I will be able to reduce the number of litter trays in time, and does it matter that they cannot really sleep in the covered bit. Does anyone else have this problem?

i know this is quite minor compared with what could be happening after a new bun becomes part of our family - but I am just a little concerned with winter coming and the nights already starting to cool down. Bean and Katrina are really really happy, chilled rabbits. And Cheryl :wave: , if you are reading this, they are getting on really well and have totally settled in, so thank you for letting Bean come to stay with us and bonding them so well :D

on another note, completely unrelated to rabbits, I am looking for a little advice on my guinea pigs if anyone on here knows about them. At what point would you recommend moving their hutch into a shed. the nights are just starting to become a little chilly so wasn't sure at what point to move them. and also, can you put them out in their run in winter on the 'better' days, or is it best to keep them in their hutch and take them into the house for some excersise?

Thanks in advance everyone.

can't help about the rabbits but i can with guineas.....

i usually put the hutch in the shed or bring the pigs indoors to an indoor cage from end of October to end of March.Even if the weather seems cold before then i always leave until end of October.

Be careful about bringing pigs inside for exercise if you have central heating as the constant change from cold outside to warm inside can give them a chill.

we don't have central heating and our house isn't much warmer than the shed so it's not too bad but if i bring mine indoors they stay all winter.

hth

:wave:My bunnies were the same.As winter approached i put straw into their bed area.I also put tastier hay into their litter trays.It seemed to cure it as the weren,t keen on eating straw so slept on it:lol: :lol:
I keep my piggies out all winter.They have a double hutch with a thermal cover.In winter i put perspex over the hutch and run.I also make sure they have piles of hay:D On an evening when it gets cold i cover their hutch and run with a duvet.

Thanks for your advice. Radish, I hadn't thought about the temperature change from hot to cold, so i won't bring them in in winter. maybe i will go sit with them in the shed for a while each day so they get their company. Becca, thanks for the advice about the straw, thats a great idea that I will definitely try :) .

Back