• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baytril = Yucky Tasting Caecotrophs ??

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Aisling has been on Baytril for a couple of days after being bitten by Morse.
Since being on abx Aisling is not eating her caecotrophs. They are perfectly formed and she def' doesn't have diarrhoea. She is eating and currant-pooping normally. She's having probiotics.
I am wandering if her caecotrophs taste different due to the abx :?

Janex

It's very possible: I know a lot of antibiotics can give humans a really upset stomach, so I wouldn't be surprised if Aisling's caecotrophs are affected in some way. If only they could talk :( Not sure how else you could test out your theory! (well, I don't wanna think about it anyway :shock: :lol: )

Hmm well I know that Baytril is unpaletable to rats - mine always had to have it mixed 50%with ribena (did check with the vets that that was ok ;) ) dont know if that would last all the way through the system to making the caecotrophs taste better though!

It is foul tasting: I admit I did try the teenest amount when Frankie had to have it for his GI and it was grim, grim, grim :oops: :lol:

My vet suggested dipping the end of the syringe in apple juice to tempt Frankie to take it :)

Aisling is on Baytril injections. I am just thinking that if the abx have changed the balance of her gut flora her caecotrophs might taste odd to her :?
She is leaving beautifully formed 'bunches of grapes' in a tidy pile in her litter tray!!

Never seen this problem in any of my other Buns :?

Janex

I'd give the vet a call in the morning and see what he/she advises. Problem is that bun is perhaps not getting the nutrients she should do (as that is the whole point of them digesting them again). We had a similar thing with Molly when she was on Baytril once and the vet gave me some prebiotic (or probiotic, can never rememer which is which) to dissolve in her water. As I recall it all sorted itself out in a couple of days but definitely call your vet or vet nurse for advice.

Is it bad for a bun to, ahem, partake of another rabbits poos? If it is important to eat their own and they don't, what about another rabbits prized droppings? Sorry, I am not being dumb, just not knowledgable and wondering. What happens when buns are bonded and kept together? Do they, um, share? Nevermind, maybe I don't want to know.

Last edited:
Back