• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gismo/recovery from head tilt

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
Well the good news is that Gismo is now looking much better since his head tilt. He is barely loosing his balance at all and he is starting to hop around normally :D His head is still to one side, but not as much as before, so I am hoping there will be further improvement.
Now I am starting to think about the future . .
Since he became ill he has been separated from the others and I have had him inside in an indoor cage - both to take care of him and prevent any spread of infection to the others. But I am wondering when it might be safe for him to start mixing with the others again. If it was caused by an infection in his ear then I am assuming he poses little danger. But if it was EC then when is he safe to mix with the others - after the 28 day coursse is up? They have has a preventative course of Panacur too if that makes a difference.
I am also a bit concerned about how he will cope with the ramp if he goes back in and his head is still tilted :?

Hi Sally :wave: Sorry I missed this the other day, only just stumbled across it :cry:

So glad to hear that Gismo is feeling much better :D It certainly sounds as if it could have been EC that caused it.

I must admit I'm not sure I'd put him back in a hutch with a ramp unless he's 100% better; after this amount of time it will be a new bonding in effect too I'd have thought :?

Has anyone got experience of bonding buns back together after an active case of EC? Were there any further problems or is it as safe as it can be after 28 days of panacur?? :?

Christobel (my Vet) recommends a minimum of 6 weeks Panacur for active EC. She also says that minimising stress is necessary whilst on treatment and I guess re-bonding Gismo would be stressful :?

So pleased to hear that Gismo is recovering well :)

Janex

The jury seems very much out on 'contact' bunnies with active EC. At the point when Dusty tested positive, the vet put her on 28 days, and Clover (who was fine at the time) on 9 days. About a week after Clover's course finished, while Dusty was still on her 28 days, Clover became ill. so she then ended up on more Panacur. It was a right old mess really.

I don't want to rock the boat, as I know many vets still recommend 28 days, but from the research I've done, 6 weeks is recommended (at least) due to the life cycle of the spore.

Back