• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

living space (new to rabbits)

choadiac

New Kit
so i'm thinking of getting a rabbit; i've never had one before. from what i've read, they're really smart, playful little guys. i'm a cat person but i live in a very small apartment in the city, i'd hate to keep a cat confined indoors and i wouldn't want to let him out.

so would a rabbit be happy in a one room apartment? i'd want to keep him in a cage when i was gone at work, but i'd give him free reign when i got home. it'd be a small cage tho, as i don't have much space. would he be miserable being in there a good 9 hours a day? would he be unhappy being in such a small living space period?

how small would the cage be and how big would the room that he could run around in eventually be?

Most buns would probably get enough excersice in one room but they would still need somewhere quite roomy to live in during the day. Most indoor bunny cages I've seen are about 1m by 50cm at least which, for a studio flat is pretty big. You couldn't really house a rabbit in anything much smaller than that. Plus you need to find somewhere to store bed/litter and hay. Also buns aren't usually too keen on cooking smells which is hard to get away from.

How about some gerbils?

You would certainy need a pair of rabbits if one was to be left alone for 9 hours a day. They are social animals and need company.

Could you build upwards and have a multi storey cage with a ramp to give extra room, or atatch a pen to the front for them?

I have a house bun in a smallish house and we have an indoor rabbit cage attached to a 'puppy' pen so he has plenty of space while we're at work, then he's free range when we get home. It does take up a fair chunk of our living room but hey, that's a sacrifice we were willing to make and our lovely lovely bun more than makes up for the lack of space (and the mess etc etc ;) )

I live in a flat with indoor bunnies that are caged during the day nd let out at night (and sometimes in the morning, if I'm up early).

Because I am out all day, I have two rabbits. I started with one, but very soon felt that she was lonely. Even when I was home really, because lets face it, none of us really want to spend hours and hours sat on the floor with our rabbits every single night (well maybe some do - this is a mecca for crazy rabbit obsessed people :oops: ) and anything less than that would be hugly lonely for a bun.

Both when I had one rabbit and more laterly, now I have two, their cage relly must be big if they're going to be in it all day. I currently have a 36" dog crate with a puppy pen type run at the front of it, giving them 3' by almost 6', with a shelf in the crate to give extra space. I would feel terrible giving them less during the day - this space is only enough for three hops in a line, which isn't really that much.

If you go for this size of housing, it is about the equivalent size (in height too) as a sofa. That should help you to plan out where it would fit in your home. I store some of their stuff on top of it (hay and pellets), but they also require most of a 60cm cupboard in my kitchen (for litter, toys and all the other stuff you accumulate) and some space in another cupboard elsewhere for a store of hay (I have to travel for my hay, so I tend to buy several bags at once).

Sorry for the essay - I just know how tricky space and storage is in a small flat! It can be done, but it need to be thought about and you need to decide that the rabbits in their cage/run can be the focal point of your lounge :D There really is no way to tuck an adequatly sized cage in the corner in a small flat - it will BE there. All the time!

Good luck with your planning :D and hopefully with your new bunnies :D

I have a bunny in a small place but again he has a puppy play pen too. He goes in there for around 6 hours a day and his routine once I am back at uni will be as follows: Up at 5.45 am and run around my bedroom 7.20 into play pen for breakfast. Lunchtime a run around the front room with nannie and grandad. Around 5 pm mummy comes home and gets Buster out for a cuddle. Back in pen or run around dependant on his mood some nights he is a content angel other times he is a little :censored: chewing everything :lol: :lol:. Out again or still out at 9.30 and then cuddles and kissed and into bed at 10.30. His bed is a 150cm long/about 90 wide. I live in a bungalow with 3 dogs and 2 cats. My dad is home all day and goes into Buster to give him a cuddle and a kiss as does my mum so Buster is never alone even when he is in his play pen he has company. In your situation I would reccommend you get 2. :D

I have an underbed storage box and can't buy things in bulk. You won't be able just to sqeeze a bunny in but if you don't mind it being the center of attention then go for it.

Also think of the cost as these animals aren't as cheap as you think. Also house rabbits need to be cleaned out more oftern than outside rabbits.

Play pen
bedroom058.jpg

Sleep cage
Buster104.jpg

Last edited:
Where are you located? I'm guessing US as you said appartment? If you are, then "NIC condos" are very popular there - they are grids normally used for making temporary shelving, but make great rabbit cages, because it's quite easy to add upper levels and make them fit and any kind of space at all. They are available in the UK too but a bit harder to get. If you want any more information I can PM you links, pictures etc. :)

Hello...I know this is a little bit off this topic, but I have to ask this question. I see yo have news paper in your cage...is that OK?:..I mean have you had any problems with it? Because here where I live bedding is really expensive and I was wondering if I could use newspaper in my rabbits hutch. THank youuu!

Yeah I have been using it for 2 months with no problems. I don't like the thought of him on sawdust or straw so I use newspaper everyday. No one has said that I shouldn't use it.

all i have is a room, a bathroom, and a closet. if i 'bunny proof' the house, maybe i could just let him have the whole place to himself during the day? or even with enough room to run, would he still be too lonely? a cage with multiple levels sounds like a good idea. i was going to keep a litter box for him in the bathroom.

i suppose if i just let him go wherever during the day, i could get two rabbits. i'd rather get one to start with, but if being alone that much will bother him i won't do it.

I'd really recommend going for too. Rabbits live in family groups in the wild so naturally need the company of there own species durin the day much like any other social animal (including humans). One way of looking at it is to imagine you were stuck in a room all day and the only company you got was your rabbit for a few hours in the evening and morning who then slept most of the night far away from you. In some circumstances you can get away with one bunny (in pretty much all day, or someone is - still not ideal) and some bunnys do never really take to company but it's best to start with 2 litter mates or pre bonded bunnies (go for a neutered girl and boy for maximum peacefulness plus a good variety of personalities).

Another thing to think about is something i'm more familier with with rats, i know that in rats it's easier to bond with a pair than one and the relationship is also more natural. Lone rats are often nervy initally and having a chum there really boosts there confidence when they move into a strange new house.

Thats always another option for you if bunnys take up too much room, rats make great flat pets and as long as you get a decent sized cage and a pair or more they'll be very happy, plus as there smaller their food and bits technically take up less space. I have a shed full of bunny stuff and a large cupboard full of rat stuff despite me being able to make more stuff for the rats (my bunnys don't like hammocks alas).

Jem

I'm in a similar situation, only my bunny is left alone for up to 14 hours a day! Poor bunny! But yeah, so long as he has free reign while you're in and you give him toys to play with and make sure that he likes his hutch it should be fine. My bunny has a 4 ft hutch. There are two rooms in my flat and he's as happy as larry, although come December I will hopefully be getting him a female friend (tenancy agreement says no more pets). He's still under observation at the moment though because of the circumstances surrounding his un-expected arrival as well.

But yeah what I'm trying to say is if you put the effort in then there's no reason he shouldn't be happy.

Back