• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Seizures in my wild rabbit, Wobbles.

racheld69

Mama Doe
I live in the UK and 5 months ago I picked up a baby rabbit at the side if the road. It had blood coming out of one ear and it could not sit/stand. I thought it would die buti thought at least it would die in a dark quiet place and not at side of rpad or being mauled by some animal that found it. I got a pipette and fed it water and it gradually tarted propping itsenf up and started eating etc. It gradually was able to sit up, make a few stumbling steps etc until it could walk properly. It did have a big watery blister type thing on the top of hishead under the skin - a bit like a water balloon which I thought must be to do with head trauma from being hit by a car. He also had a slight head tilt and when he was able to run ran slightly in that direction. Anyway he gradually made a recivery with his head watery thing going down and the head tilt lessening os he could run straight etc. By this time he was very tame and I spoke to some welfare organisations to see if there was a kind o half way house/sanctuary for rabbits that can't go back in the wild but where they can be with their own kind but they all said no so I decded to keep him as a pet and call him Wobbles as that was all he could do when I first found him!

He ate loads, grew, chased the cats, sat on the sofa, ate all the dandelions in sight etc and seemed virtually 100%. He had a couple of bouts of seizures 1-2 months apart in which he drooled, eyes rolled, he went stiff and fell backwards, went to the loo and kind of bit the air with his mouth. He seemed to have a fit for about 20 seconds then have few, a quiet few minutes and then return to normal. The first time this happened I thought he had poisoned himself on a plant. The 2nd time I thought it must be a side effect from his head trauma and as it lasted such a short amount of time (too short to get him to the vets and show them) and he seemed to have these every month or two with full recovery I thought little of it.

I had him neutered (he had a slightly pronounced head tilt as he came round from the anaesthetic the nurses told me) and had his mixo jab etc and all went well.

Then this Saturday just gone I got up to find that Wobbles was again having fits (I had also woken at 4am to hear him crasing about as he sleeps indoors and is often trashing the place but I realise now that this must have been at fit as well). This time the fits were different as they did not stop after 10 minutes or half an hour and I realised they must have bene going on for some hours - from at least 4am. I took him to the vets who kept him in and gave him Diazepam and also a steroid injection and Baytrill. His fits were the same but this time after the falling backwards his eyes would flick from side to side - like eyes do when you are in a train watching things go past. The vet said that if the fits didn't stop we'd have to put him down but the fits sems to subside so I collected him together with some more Baytrill and a paste wormer to treat for the parasite that rabbits get that can cause seizures(a 9 day course of treatment).

He seemed find and ate a load of food and water etc but sadly 2-3 hours after collecting him the fits started again. I was in a bit of a state of shock as when I took him to the vets I thought they would give him a steroid jab or something and the fits would stop and then we could look for a cause but things were suddenley happening really fast. All night he had fits with periods of calm in between when he'd eat something and almost look normaly and they seemed to be getting stronger with the addition of lying on his side and 'running' with his legs and one time actually running out of the hutch in a circle.You could tell when a fit was coming on as his he would start breathing rapidly. As soon as morning came I knew I had no choice but to have him put to sleep as he couldn't go through the terrible seizures thrashing about etc anymore so I took him to the vets.

I am writing to you because I am finding it so hard to come to terms with that this rabbit who I found when he was a fluffy tennis ball had overcome all obstacles and was such a fighter and seemed to be home and dry had suddenley gone from a happy healthy rabbit to no longer there is a period of 24 hours. And no-one seemed to be able to give any answers or provide any solutions.

I know it is too late to provide solutions and cure Wobbles but I would still like to try and find an answer as to what was wrong with him and I wondered if in your knowledge you think my outline of his symptoms point to anything? The vets thought it may be related to his head trauma eg be a brain lesion but at the same time when I suggested poisoning etc she had to get a book out so I am worried that perhaps it was something that if I had known about I could have told the vets about it and perhaps with the right treatment Wobbles would be cured. I am just looking for answers as to what Wobbles had rather than having 100s of questions running through my head so that I can have closure.

I never thought when I got Wobbles that I would be so devastated at his loss or of the emptiness there would be in the house without him there. I even miss his raisins that he dropped all over the carpet that we were always swearing about and I would give a million pounds to have him back chewing through the furniture! Anyone got any ideas? :cry:

Oh I am so sorry to hear that Wobbles is no longer with you :cry:

There are several reasons as to why he started having fits. Encephalitizoon Cunuculi is one thing that comes to mind, although I am not sure how prevelent EC is in the Wild Rabbit population :?

Here is some info on EC

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

Wobbles may have had a rare adverse reaction to the GA he had when being neutered. I am suprised he was given a Myxi vac if he had the head-tilt immediately after the GA :?

I had a Bun, Billy, who was brain damaged. He started to have fits on reaching puberty. He was treated for EC but the fits continued, he would have several mini-fits a day but seemed not to be at all stressed by them. A trial of an anti-epilepsy drug (Phenobarbitone) had no effect on his fits. Billy lived a very happy life for nearly 7 years. He had a couple of strokes during his last year of life which makes me think his problems were related to the blood vessels in his brain.

Maybe Wobbles did sustain some brain trauma, it certainly seems to be a likely case. At least you rescued him from the roadside and gave him a happy time, although that time was short. I am sure Wobbles was grateful to have had such loving care.

Janex

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave:

I am so sorry to hear about Wobbles, you must be devastated after nursing him back to health when he was a baby.

I don't know much about rabbit medicine so I haven't got any idea what might have been wrong with Wobbles, but whatever it was, at least he had a friend there to look out for him when he became ill.

I hope you are able to focus on the time that you and Wobbles had together and begin to get over the sadness of losing him.

Liz

I am so sorry for your loss of Wobbles :( , but he couldn't have been found by a more caring person.
You must take comfort from the fact that you looked after him and gave him a good home, and he knew he was loved.

Sorry

Hi I am new to the forum only joining yesterday, and have only had my rabbit pompom for a few weeks. I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with you at this sad time.
As I said i have only had Pompom since mid July and really do not know a great deal yet,but the response I have had from people has been great and I'm sure there are people who can help. Luv Tracyxx

Ooops, Im sorry I didnt finish your first post, Im a terrible skim reader.

So sorry you lost wobbles. X

RR-There is no law against keeping wild animals that cannot be rehabilitated back into the wild, as it would be cruel to release them.

Last edited:
Aw I am so sorry to hear that you lost Wobbles :( It was a lovely thing you did, to nurse him back to health and awful that you lost him in such a way :( But you were there for him whenever he needed you and he would have known that you loved him. I know you must be devasted by his loss, but be reassured that he was happy and loved and well looked after for the time that he was with you.
Welcome to the forum :wave:

It seems very likely it was some lasting head trauma.. I just think it's great you rescued him when you found him... many people wouldn't have done. At least, thanks to you, he did live for longer than he would have done. I can never stand the thought of leaving any creature out to die, or to lie in fear of a predator coming... ^^; Like you, I'd always rather they get to die in dark and quiet. With me, this often applies to wild mice.

I'm sure Wobbles appreciated the care he received. He didn't just get to live when he most likely would have died - it sounds like he enjoyed himself. ^-^ And you did all you could for him.

Is that Wobbles in your siggy picture...?

What an emotional story, I was all jeed up at his pulling through, then very sad to hear he didn't make it. I can't offer you any advice on the causes, but I'm very sorry you lost him, he obviously made quite an impression on you :cry:

Hi, thank you all for your kind words. It does feel so empty without him. Yes, that is Wobbles in my signature. Here is one of him a couple of weeks after I found him. And another one of him a couple of weeks ago.

Awwww bless, what an adorable bunny. Well done for taking him in and giving him a happy life, though it was too short ..... youre bound to miss him. :cry:

Woah, he was handsome... ^-^
I've always thought my Barney-boy was a good-looking bun, but Wobbles is... No, I can't say that. Barney might hear my thoughtwaves and sulk.

just a quick question what are the laws on keeping wild animals i think theres law against it!

I think what you did was lovely and i'm sure he was very happy the time he spend with you. If its against the law then thats silly, whats wrong with helping a sick rabbit in need.
Sorry for your loss.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Such a shame it can't be under better circumstances. I'm really sorry about Wobbles, he looked like he had a very happy life with you and you did the best you could for him. I suspect as others have said it may have been some lasting brain damage. :(

He was a very handsome boy.

What a gorgeous bun!! Sorry to hear about his passing but at least he had happy time with you and was loved very much.

Hi, I just wanted to say what a gorgeous bunny Wobbles was and what a great job you did taking him and and loving and caring for him. I'm so sorry his time with you was only short but you gave him a secure life full of love and happiness that he'd have never had if it wasn't for you. I hope in time his passing becomes easier to bear x x x

Back