• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Rats! (Lots of pics)

Thought I'd do my own post save taking over the other...

Parsley & Herb:
HPIM1940.jpg

ParsleyHerb3.jpg

Dill and Basil:
S8002784.jpg

Basil:
S8002800.jpg

Cookie:
S8002230.jpg

Muffin:
S8002022.jpg

Polly & Pip (Phills rats) on Carys:
HPIM0083.jpg

HPIM0082.jpg

HPIM0081.jpg

Fudge, when he was skinny and had balls:
HPIM0919.jpg

Chill (R.I.P :():
HPIM1904.jpg

Dillon (R.I.P :() and Maxwell (yawning):
HPIM1877.jpg

Rat Pile:
HPIM0943.jpg

HPIM0632.jpg

HPIM0520.jpg

Dillon (R.I.P :():
HPIM1712.jpg

Munchie:
HPIM1688.jpg

Button:
HPIM1682.jpg

Caramel, Peekaboo, Munchie, Lightning (R.I.P :(), Bambi (R.I.P :(), Chill (R.I.P :() and Missy:
HPIM1060copy.jpg

Caramel:
HPIM1113.jpg

Peekaboo and Button:
PeekabooButtonSleeping-CUTE-Small.jpg

Rex and Fudge when they were young and had balls:
Photo139.jpg

Peekaboo and Bambi (R.I.P :():
PeeksBambiLamb.jpg

Hmm sorry think I got carried away!

OMG now they are cute!!
Since you told me about why they wrap their tails around you when you hold them I am feeling less freaked !!

Now I am going to drive you mad with tons of questions about Rats!!

First, and I am embarrassed to admit I dont know :oops: but are they Vegetarian?
What's a good diet for Rats?
Do they bond easily or are they something of a challenge like Buns?

When I am at the Vets with the Buns if their is a Rattie in the waiting room its usually got a Respiratory Tract infection or an abscess. Are these common problems for Rats?
Is Myco like Pasteurella in Bunnies? Can it be successfully treated

Now onto different breeds of Rats......what are they and are certain breeds more prone to health problems?

Finally please can you point me in the direction of any websites with good info' about Rats

Janex :wave:

OMG now they are cute!!
Since you told me about why they wrap their tails around you when you hold them I am feeling less freaked !!

Now I am going to drive you mad with tons of questions about Rats!!

First, and I am embarrassed to admit I dont know :oops: but are they Vegetarian?
What's a good diet for Rats?
Do they bond easily or are they something of a challenge like Buns?

When I am at the Vets with the Buns if their is a Rattie in the waiting room its usually got a Respiratory Tract infection or an abscess. Are these common problems for Rats?
Is Myco like Pasteurella in Bunnies? Can it be successfully treated

Now onto different breeds of Rats......what are they and are certain breeds more prone to health problems?

Finally please can you point me in the direction of any websites with good info' about Rats

Janex :wave:

Dont worry about questions! I'll try and answer anything you want to know :)

Rats arent vegetarian, they need to eat meat as part of their diet. They can also have bones (in the last photo Peekaboo and Bambi are eating a lamb bone) as they grind their food so it doesnt splinter. Rat mixes always contain meat pieces, and the Shunamite diet includes Burns Chciken & Rice dog kibble.
Shunamite diet is the best for rats: http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk/diet.html
Young rats need extra protien too!

Bonding in rats can be fairly easy, definitely easier than buns (from what Ive heard) although I've found boys harder, they can be fine together until they hit the hormones at around 6months then fights can break out! Girls can be pretty easy to bond, though I've had problems with 2 of mine who wont let any more join the group!

Resp problems and lumps are very very common in rats, mainly due to bad breeding. Good breeders out there are trying to breed healthy rats, whereas backstreet breeders and rodent farms breed from any rats, not caring about their history. So far I've had about 5 lumps removed from various rats (includoing 2 on 1 rat) and still have some rats with lumps now, unfortunately these are between 18months-2years old so I'm not going to risk them having an operation.
I'm not sure what Pasturella is but myco is a respiratoyr infection that most rats carry, this flares up at stressful times and when they're ill. It can be treated quite well with Baytril but its not so easy to 'cure'. Its just a case of keeping them going. People keepinfg rats on woodshavings is probably one of the biggest causes of this!

There are no different 'breeds' of Fancy Rat, just different varities. Theres no real difference though the hairless and double rex can be prone to various problems including skin conditions and trouble lactating. A lot of people say dumbo rats can grow bigger and are heathier but thats just not true, the only difference to top eared rats is where their ears sit on their heads!

The all time best rat site and forum is www.fancy-rats.co.uk

Hope all that helps :)

Look winegums -!!! now Jane is going to have 50 ratties and its all your fault! :lol: :lol:
btw when are your ratties coming to live with me! Mwaahahahaha! - I love the boys rat pile one! :D I wish I had got boys now I want cuddles! :lol: maybe I will just have to come over to your house tee hee

haha yeah please no one blame me for Jane starting a rat rescue along side the rabbit one! ;)
And all rat pile pics are of girls :) I much prefer girlie rats to boysie rats!

Omg I was going to ask you for pictures!! They are all so beautiful hun :D x Im so jealous!! :p

Jane they make such wonderful pets :D I didnt think I would get attached but withing minutes of them arriving here Aubery and Billy were cuddled up on me and I was like awwwwwwwwwwwwww!! ;)

And Carys you look fine :lol:

Back