• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please someone help me becasue I am worried sick - UPDATE

toria

Warren Scout
Hi,
Took my rabbits home on friday and back on monday this past weekend which was a 3 and 1/2 hr trip each way and they were fine. Settled back into hutch fine. Tonight I went to Tesco at 7pm after sorting them out and didn't go back to see them til 10.30 with their tea. Immediatley saw that Willow wasn't ok. She sitting looking uncomfortable and looked like some bunny had wet the middle of the hutch. She wasn't at all interested in her tea, highly unusual. Tempted her with all sorts and nothing interests her. DOne an hourly check on her and she still sitting uncomfortable.
I did notice what could be a very small amount of blood on paper but I got her out and examined her, her bum etc and no sign of blood on her.
I am just worried sick.
When I used to live where I did, she went through this once before and sat around uncomfortably and not interested in food, then she sort of, did a lot of poos, if I rmember rightly then was ok. I took her to the vets for a check up and I'm sure they said she was fine and must've had an upset tummy which had passed.
I'm living somewhere else now, in someone else's house, completly on my own and I'm worried. I hope it passes.
I broke one of my long nails the other day and I didn't notice where, and I'm worried I broke it getting hay out of the bag. I was wearing varnish at the time and I'm worried she's eaten it.
I'm jsut worrying.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm afraid you do need to get this bunny to the vet asap this morning. There's really very little you can do. Do you have any syringes at all? Getting some fluids into your bunny is important, but the vet will ensure that happens. Good luck!!

Willow is fine!!

Hi, Sorry for the delay in replying.
Willow is fine now, Thank you for all that were concerened and replyed.
I took Willow to the vets in the morning (yesterday) and left her there to be seen. The Vet phoned me to say, they couldn't find anything wrong at all - her tummy was not swollen or hard, she was eating and drinking etc, they jsut felt her gut was being slow so they gave her some liquid, some greens from the garden, syringe fed her some food, in case and gave her a injection for any pain. They asked me if I had made any changes and told me they'd like to have done an X-ray but as this involves an anethestic, they didn't want to do it in these circumstances. I phoned back later in the afternoon and she was fine, so I went to pick her up after work. They didn't give me any medication, just to give her favourite foods and be normal and to phone them with update in morning. Well, she's been fine since, thank god. Up to her usual tricks of seeing if I'm bringing anything to munch and she ate her tea fine last night. I got them both out in the run as exercise helps the gut move. She's fine today too so I hope it has passed and it was just an upset tummy or something. I just was so worried, living in a place by myself, in someone else's house, I feel abit cut off from help, if you know what I mean and I just panic. I keep thinking I must have done something, I was worried sick she'd eaten aone of my nails that must've broke off sometime on Monday and I'd been getting Hay out of a bag and thought it might of gone in. I was wearing Nail varnish at the time. I also thought I'd took them both home with me last Friday and brought them back on Monday, which is a 3 and half hr trip each way. They were fine in both directions, and ate normally as soon as we arrived in both destinations. I worry as I'll have to do this journey again and again yet, obviosuly not every week but every 2 months or so.
Willow was fine Tuesday and most of Wednesday, even up to 7pm when I'd left for Tesco. It was between going to Tesco and their tea at 10.30pm, she was ill.
I used to live right next door to my Vets which was great but there you go.
Anyway, I'm still keeping an eye on her as I always do. I hate all this worrying.
So, sorry I didn't reply earlier as the night Willow was ill, I had a migrane myself and by last night I was shattered!!:D

Back