• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunnies...advice

Rusia

Young Bun
Hello, I'm new in this forum and new on keeping rabbits ( have had hamsters and guinea pigs though). There are some pics below. Is their home ok for them do you think... it is quite big ...1.50 metres long, 50 cms wide and 50 cms high. (about).
I now use these wood pellets for the bedding. Is it ok?
I have noticed there is always urine in one corner of the cage, if I put a litter tray there, would they always go there to do it?

Thanks a lot.

e7eeb1a3.jpg
I have the bottom one to keep all the rabbit's stuff in , like food, hay and all that.
e7eeb054.jpg
They all need names!! hehe All 3 I need spanish names though, so my b/friend can pronounce them.
e7eeb052.jpg

e7eeb051.jpg

Lovely pictures, your bunnys are very cute!

Do they have access to a run aswell?

Wood pellet litter is fine for bunnys, I use it sometimes or I use Megazorb

If you put in a litter tray they will learn to use it. All my buns are litter trained.

It's also a lot better and easier to clean them out if you have trays.

Nicola

HellO! Thanks for your reply. I don't know what my pellets are called. I live in Gran Canaria so I can't get that Megazorb... I have just cleaned out the hutch today and put the pellets in . hehe. I have had the rabbits for 2 weeks now. I haven0t got a run yet but I am planing on making one when I have some money, as I don't work. But I do let them out in the garden, after putting the dog away from them! They are dwarfs...I don't think they grow much more.. hehehe.. do you have any dwarfs?

I don't know what mine are exacly I think one of them the one with the big ears is he one we call Belier here.

Erm... what do you use as litter trays? Do you buy them from the pet shop? and what do you put in them?

They're very cute :D

Hope you come across some posts about neutering - are you absolutely 100% certain yours are all the same sex?

I would let them use both halves of the hutch, the more space the merrier I should think especially with three.

I would suggest you get one of the large litter trays with high sides - I made the mistake of geting one with sides only an inch or so high, without realising that the rabbits seem to wee outwards not just down. Messy.

Mine pee ver the side of their trays onto the paper underneath. As its directly under the tray everything stays dry and then they spend all their time sleeping in the litter :roll:

Hiya there!
MIne are all 3 females!...I am sure!...hehe
Erm I was planing on like adding a ramp from the top floor to the bottom one...but the thing is that would mean extra bedding... and for the top bit I use 16 letres of those wood pellets that cost me 14 euros!....so... that would be 28 ...
and the worry that the dog can bother them on the bottom one!

Hello :wave: Your rabbits are very cute! Do you know much about them, like are the related, age, etc. They're probably cross breeds so it's a bit of a gamble on how big they get so you might want to update the cage later, but for now it seems fine to me.

If you litter train them you wont have to use so much litter, you will only need to put it in the tray, thus saying you a bit of money. Have you registered them at a vet and found out info about vaccinations yet?

Hello! NO i havent found out anything like that yet.. I have not long had them. I don't think they are related...but they all lived together at the petshop! they are soooo friendly!

MIne are all 3 females!...I am sure!...hehe...they all lived together at the petshop!

If you've only got the pet shop's word for that, I suggest you get a vet's opinion. So many people pop up on here saying they were told their rabbits were both female but, oops, there was one of each and now there are many... :roll: Better safe than sorry!

Agree with Deelove: just put the litter in the litter tray (or the corner they use) and use a cheaper bedding for the rest of the hutch. Like straw?

Though being in Gran Canaria, I'd imagine it's warm enough that they dont need huge amounts of bedding to snuggle up in. Not like here with our dreadful summer never mind the winter!! So maybe you could get away with newspaper or something on the floor?

Is it OK to use newspaper in the litterbox...as it is inexpensive... and I can change it once or twice every day! Bedding here is so expensive!

Newspaper would be fine. But its not very absorbant like litter is and could attract flies in warm weather.

I always layer the bottom of my plastic litter trays with newspaper and then put a layer of litter on top. The rest of their crates have some old offcuts of carpet down on them, but I used to just line them with newspaper before.

Nicola

OK thanks! I will try next time with newspaper if I see lots of flies around well I'll change back to what I was using. I will layer a few newspapers down then. And I hope they keep up the good job and do their wee and poop in the litter tray ( it was a bird cage bottom but my bro didn't need it)!

lol thank you ..good idea..but I don't think my Grandmother (Maria) would like that! hahaha she doesn't like rabbits!! I also have a cousin called Ines! ...That's weird loL!

Back