• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy Hutch owners - how long did it take your rabbits...

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
...to work out that there was a hutch upstairs and go up there?

My foster girls have been in the run since yesterday and are showing no signs of wanting to try out the ramp.
I wouldn't worry about it normally but we found a partially eaten bunny at the end of our garden today:cry: and I'd just feel better knowing they could hide in the hutch if any foxes come prowling.

They have a carrier in the run, the front and back are covered with a tarp and one ends virtually against the fence. Plus I've put some plants at the other end so nothing can get right up to it.

When my bunnykins (r.i.p) was in hers she learnt quickly, I'd say within two days, but had to learn the hard way as she fell down the hole at first:lol: she was alright, but I did panic:roll:

Choci never learnt, and I'm glad I never gave him the ramp full time.

Theodore whos only in it tempory as never had the option, I was to worried he wouldn't fit down the hole as he's a conti. He's getting a shed soon.

Have you tried putting their food up there and showing them where it is so they know when they go up there there's food? Worked with my two. Actually when it comes to my lot food is always the answer! :rolleyes:

Mine worked it out pretty quickly... and when i remove the ramp to clean it they jump up without it :roll: :shock:

Tia took a fortnight to figure it out - meanwhile I picked her up and put her upstairs/downstairs morning and evening - making sure she had access to food, hay and water both levels. I always cover my hutches at night, even in summer, with rugs and boards, and put wire panels around them weighted by bricks - I don't want a fox or cat to scare or attack my bunnies!

Benny figured his ramp out in a day after me putting a piece of food on each step for him :)

I dont have a happy hutch - but mine I started her off in the upstairs and she had to learn to get down .. they normally take to it quite quickly.

Snoopy used the ramp straight away, and so did Luna, but Penny needed about a day or two. Have you tried putting them in the hutch and then wait until they go down into the run?
When I had only two rabbits, I used to shut them into the hutch at night, but now with 3 I let them have the run day and night.

Well they still hadn't worked it out at 2am when I went out with my torch to check on them :oops: :lol:
But they were both in the hutch when I went out to feed them today :D

I have a HH which I use for fosters, and learning time really does vary. One pair were clueless, and 2 weeks later still didnt know what the ramp was for. One from another pair went down instantly and spent a couple of hours teaching the other one. I always lock them in the bedroom area at night for saftey and they seem to look forward to the trap door being opened in the morning. Putting their veg at the bottom is always persuasive too, or putting little bits on the rungs as a tempter.:D

Mine worked it out pretty quickly... and when i remove the ramp to clean it they jump up without it :roll: :shock:

Trip and Scarlett do that too :lol:

It took Trip a few minutes and it took Scarlett about three weeks to realise she could go down the ramp to the run :lol:

Back