• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stuart had a Sex Change!

buntastic

Warren Scout
Well, the bun went to the vets today for his first check up and myxi jab and was found to be in good health...However, it turned out that Stuart is in fact a girl, so he has now been renamed Kirsty (they have a vet called Stuart and one called Kirsty, she was the one that saw him, so that's how he got his new name :) ).

She had the complete check, claws clipped, teeth and ears checked, etc., then we asked about spaying her, and the vet didn't seem to think it was absolutely necessary unless we wanted to get her a companion. She did say there was a higher risk of cancer, but didn't seem to see it as that much of a problem.

My partner is really reluctant to get her done, partly, there is no way of telling if she might have had the op in the past (although we both doubt it), but mainly because of concerns about the risk of anasthetic in such a small animal (well, 3kg isn't that small, but still) - especially as we can't be sure how old she is.

From what I have read on here, I would prefer to get her spayed because of the cancer risk. Would it have an impact on her temperament as well? Would she become more cuddly?

Not sure what's for the best, any advice would be great!!! (Apologies if this should have been posted in rabbit care :oops: )

Thanks
Jana

The risk from aneasthetic in a healthy, young rabbit with an experienced vet is very low, rabbit medicine has come a long way!

We have had around 45 rabbits neutered to date and have only lost one who was found to have a heart murmur which only an ECG scan could have picked up. You can ask your vets to rn blood tests to check for any problems before hand as well as a health check to put your mind at risk.

If your girl lives to a ripe age (past 5 years) there is a very strong risk that if she is unspeyed it will eventually be uterine cancer which she succumbs to. Neutered Does are much pleasenter creatures and make better companions as they are less territorial, skittish and also dont have raging hormone fluctiations during the mating season.

But just to balance it, none of mine are spayed, they are all very sweet natured, and do they really care if they die aged 5 or 10? I think they are enjoying life now, and in my opinion that is what matters to them.

I too would personally have her spayed, especially if she`s young & healthy.

In answer to your other question, your vet should be able to do an ultrasound scan to confirm if she`s been spayed or not.

good luck in whatever you decide.

su.x

I have a trio of teeny tiny girlies and was really nervous about getting them spayed (can't weigh even 1kg dripping wet), but two were done a month ago, and the last one (who is the tiniest) is being done in the next few weeks as she's now old enough.
I wouldn't let size put you off - GA's are a lot safer nowadays :D

Thanks for all the replies, it's been really helpful...it looks like kirsty will get done, even partner has changed mind now reading the posts and links...we'll check with the vets re experience etc and wait till she has had all her jabs, but then she'll be sent under the knife...poor bunny...Although I'm probably going to end up more stressed than her! :?

if its any help - both Saffy & Edina were spayed and neither of them weigh much more than 1kg (Saffy might even be a bit less than that as she's tiny).

also, I have found that out of my 5 girls - Lola (who is the only unspayed doe) is the most messy with her litter tray. Frida was a tyrant until she was spayed at 6 months and she's much better now - and the vet actaully found she was riddled with ovarian cysts at such a young age. So I would always go for the spaying option :D

Spaying her will also stop he going into season and wanting to mate! and if you should decide in the future to get her a boy freind then she is all ready to court :D :lol:

Actually, that's another question...how often do they go into season and how would we know if she is? Sorry if that's a really dumb question, but as we took Stuart/kirsty on out of the blue, I'm still catching up with my rabbit reading....

Actually, that's another question...how often do they go into season and how would we know if she is? Sorry if that's a really dumb question, but as we took Stuart/kirsty on out of the blue, I'm still catching up with my rabbit reading....

Rabbits dont have 'seasons' as such. They are induced ovulators, meaning that they become ready to mate as a response to the presence of a Buck ( his behaviour, his smell etc). Entire Does will also ovulate when 'dominance mounted' by another Doe

Although they dont have actual seasons they are more 'hormonal' in the Springtime.

Janex

Well, kirsty is on one today anyway...thought she was supposed to feel under the weather after her myxi jab, but she has turned into loopy lop. Just chucked her litter tray all over the cage and then turned it upside down and piled the food bowl on top...

She is usually sleepy in the afternoon, but the jab seems to have made her hyper (or she is just having a hyper day anyway ;) )

Back