• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me understand breeder webpages!

I don't own any bunnies yet, and I just discovered it could be one to two years before I have the money to afford one. :( So until then, I've been looking at websites.

Anyway, a lot of these sites are breeder websites, and alot of things I don't understand. Especially the 'legs' thing.

For example on Snowberry Holland Lop's website, I see an entry like this one for example.

Snowberry's Meatball - 4 legs

Of course rabbits have 4 legs! Some of these trabbits are labelled as having 3 legs, or even 7! I must be missing something here. :p

Any information you could help me for understanding breeder websites. I used Snowberry as an example, but I live in Ontario and would more likely go to a breeder closer to home if I got one. :)

Hello, welcome to RU!

Mmmmm, interesting, I'm not sure what they could mean by legs, I can't only guess it has something to do with rabbit showing :?

That probably hasn't helped at all has it?! :D :oops:

A LEG is a win at an ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) rabbit show. Unless you are looking for a show rabbit it's not really import how many they have. All show rabbits should have four paws as standard :lol:

Tamsin

This was under a pic of another rabbit on their site

"Snowberry's UU has several legs in her first few shows. She needs some time to relax that ear carriage!"

So yes, definitely to do with showing... now I feel proud, it was purely a guess! What it means exactly I'm still unsure...

*goes off to do more research*!

A LEG is a win at an ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) rabbit show. Unless you are looking for a show rabbit it's not really import how many they have. All show rabbits should have four paws as standard :lol:

Tamsin

Ah Tam, you beat me to it! :D

Snowberry's Meatball - 4 legs

I hope the prizes make up for such a dreadful name!! :lol:

Do you have to get a rabbit from a breeder? Arent there any rescues in Ontario that you could get a bunny from? After the expense of buying one then there's the expense of caring for it - I'd rather put the money into the latter personally.

I think strangeseraph isn't necessarily looking at buying from a breeder just browsing their sites because they seem to be the best when it comes to lots of pictures (?) :D

I am changing sootys name. From now on he will be called

Sootimus chicken drumstick the third - 5 legs

I'm half and half about breeders and rescues. The rescue shelters around my area all have very strict requirements for rescuing animals. I used to work in a cat shelter, and only people with very stable incomes with a house, who aren't single somethings living in an apartment, can adopt a cat from there. And many of these shelter animals aren't very healthy in the firts place. Much like pet stores the 'caged animal' shelters will euthanize animals after awhile to make room for new rescues. I liked that our cat shelter has a no-cage no euthanasia policy.

The other shelters around here are very much similar in requirments for ownership. So if I got from a shelter it would have to be from a shelter that didn't mind my being on a disability pension and didn't mind that I live in a flat. I'd have to have money to pay for shots and whatnot, and spay/neutering (they don't adopt out non-neutered animals. All rescued animals are neutered/spayed and then the new adopter reinburses the costs.) So we'd have to see.

Plus I wouldn't be able to just pick a breed. Unlike cats, the shelter here has maybe four buns in at a time.

I HAVE been oogling over the two blurry pics of a white fluffball bunny named 'Snowball' that is at the humane society. Heh. She'll probably already have been adopted by the time I can afford a bunny though.

I can understand why some rescues are forced to euthanise animals, there simply are not enough people adopting, so rescue space is limited. Rescues on here who don't euthanise instead have waiting lists.;)

My reasoning is that every animal bought, whether it be a breeder or shop takes up a space that could have been given to a rescue animal. I refuse to buy any animal, and would now only ever adopt. :)

The breed doesn't matter, what does matter is the personality!:D Unlike dogs and cats, the breed of a rabbit has no personality traits, because rabbits were only bred for looks, not to be guard/sheparding/etc animals like dogs.

Prehaps nearer the time, phone up your local rescue and see if they would rehome to you, its better to ask than to assume they won't.

I can understand why some rescues are forced to euthanise animals, there simply are not enough people adopting, so rescue space is limited. Rescues on here who don't euthanise instead have waiting lists.;)

My reasoning is that every animal bought, whether it be a breeder or shop takes up a space that could have been given to a rescue animal. I refuse to buy any animal, and would now only ever adopt. :)

The breed doesn't matter, what does matter is the personality!:D Unlike dogs and cats, the breed of a rabbit has no personality traits, because rabbits were only bred for looks, not to be guard/sheparding/etc animals like dogs.

Prehaps nearer the time, phone up your local rescue and see if they would rehome to you, its better to ask than to assume they won't.

Sorry but I completely disagree with that statement. Breeds DO have personality traits. Over the years I have kept Netherland Dwarves, Angoras, German Lops, Alaskas and Mini Lops. All of which had completely different personalities. Alaskas are very highly strung, Mini Lops are very inquistive and into everything, Nethies are a bit highly strung, not as much as an Alaska mind you. And German Lops are just SO friendly its untrue! Angoras I've only kept about 4 so can't really comment but they're pretty placid.

Still I'm sure you'd find a bunny with a fab personality in a rescue, rather than picking a breed thats supposed to have a fab personality, because there are always exceptions to every rule and if you just pick a breed the law of sod says you'll get one with a completely different personality! :roll:

Back