• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pineapple juice?

Pringle

Warren Veteran
I know pineapple juice is good to helps rabbits stomachs move, but is their a limit to how much they should have?, i gave Pringle some and he LOVES it :shock: x

the enzyme in FRESH pineapple or juice (not tinned or longlife) contains an enzyme called bromelain, which dissolves mucus in the stomach and helps keep the gut contents moist by allowing water to soak into them - especially useful if there's a lot of hair in there with the food.

Unless it's fresh, it's just a sweet treat for your bunny - bad for his teeth and bad for his stomach (sugar feeds bad bacteria, even natural sugar) so I buy bromelain tablets from holland and barrett and give one a day when they moult (40mg chewable) - they contain sugar too, but at least the enzyme is there, and it's more convenient than fresh pineapple :)

Oh thank you Elve, might try them then, yes it is a cartin of fresh Pineapple juice. He just seeemed to really enjoy it :? ...weird bun! x

I know it has to be fresh juice - I've been freezing it in an ice cube tray and melting a couple of cubes for Muppet every other day.

So - is frozen-now-melted fresh juice OK? Or does freezing destroy the enzymes?

And is that the right sort of quantity?

He does love it - pineapple is as exciting as apple apparently! - but I'll swop to the tablets if all I'm doing is rotting his teeth.

Back