• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can I do anything about snapped/broken claw?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
My Barney bunny just managed to snap a claw.
When bringing him in from his run, I noticed he was lifting one foot to keep putting it down as if it felt funny.. and saw a claw on that foot stuck out at an odd angle. I wasn't too fussed over this - he went a bit crazy at the vets and did a similar thing. So, i waited until he'd eaten his supper then went to collect him to see if it was his claw, and not some leg injury. Took me about ten minutes to catch him in the hall - he could move fine, and couldn't understand why his indoor time was so short. :roll:

Anyway, on closer inspection I saw the nail had broken further down than I thought, and that it had bled. It was still attached, but he was flinching when I tried to touch it... Then he went all wiggly, and my mum had to get a proper hold of him. By the time he'd calmed down, the nail had gone. It's not bled much - you can't even tell without closer inspection... But should anything be done to keep it clean? He's washed that paw twice that I've seen. He won't need a vet for this, will he?

My bun Flopsy did that last year. It bled a little but it was fine afterwards. Just keep an eye on it for a few days to check it doesn't get infected but I'm sure he'll be fine.

Nicola

I put some vetzyme antibacterial powder on Tia's when she broke it - but she was indoors so it didn't really get dirty - I wouldn't let him on soil for a day till it's healed over.

Amber's off to the vets for her VHD jab tomorrow... so if it looks in any way funny, I'll probably be able to take him along, too... He's currently sulking because he wasn't allowed to race up and down the stairs.

Is he okay to go out on grass? If I put Amber out, and not him, he might get a little... mad. Not that I let my rabbit rule me or anything. :lol:

Back