• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Which flystrike prevention is better....

xSarahx

Warren Scout
....Rearguard by Novartis, or Fly Guard by Beaphar?

Any other good prevention treatments people can recommend?

had not heard there was more than one so i cant say my vet who is pretty up on rabbit care advised us to use rear gaurd which we do? anyone else interested to hear there are more than one!

I dont routinely use Fly Strike Prevention preparations on a Rabbit that is 'healthy'. I dont like to use such heavy duty chemicals on a Bun unless absolutely necessary.
Fly-netting over hutches and runs, daily cleaning out and twice daily bum checks are what I prefer to do.

I *might* consider using Rearguard on a Bun with hind leg weakness/paralysis, an incontinent Bun, a Bun with severe Dental problems (which can mean he/she cant keep him/herself clean), or if Bun who is very arthritic and cant get to his/her bum.

This is just my personal opinion :)

Janex

I use fly-free every week because I've seen lots of flies around and it actually kills them if they go near him. It also deters fleas and other creepy crawlies so thats an added benefit.

I agree with Jane.

I don't use any flystrike prevention with my lot because IMHO I don't think anything really beats daily bum checks and keeping litter trays/hutches as clean as possible.

Weve been using Beaphar Fly Guard on all our rabbits as it better value than Rearguard and our main aim apart from Flystrike is to keep away mozzies in light of the recent Myxi scares.

what about house buns? my vet advised me i needed rearguard and that it was vinegar based and harmless..... so i bought some and doused bunny bottoms but was not a pleasant experience and would rather not if not necessary. any views?

is your rabbit overweight or does he have trouble cleaning himself/prone to stodgy stools?

If not then I would think you dont need to use it regularly.

is your rabbit overweight or does he have trouble cleaning himself/prone to stodgy stools?

If not then I would think you dont need to use it regularly.

nope all three of my buns have lovely hard poops ! and have never had dirty bums, and to be honest i've limited their garden run time as i'm paranoid about myxi, ferral cats and buzzards!! :shock: so looking like i don't need it then?

I use citronella on bits of material tied out of the bunnies reach to deter flies/mozzies, it works quite well.

You don't really need Rearguard if your bunny cleans themself and they have hard poos.

I dont routinely use Fly Strike Prevention preparations on a Rabbit that is 'healthy'. I dont like to use such heavy duty chemicals on a Bun unless absolutely necessary.
Fly-netting over hutches and runs, daily cleaning out and twice daily bum checks are what I prefer to do.

I *might* consider using Rearguard on a Bun with hind leg weakness/paralysis, an incontinent Bun, a Bun with severe Dental problems (which can mean he/she cant keep him/herself clean), or if Bun who is very arthritic and cant get to his/her bum.

This is just my personal opinion :)

Janex

I do the same i do regular clean outs, bum checks and have the hutches covered in fly netting i also have fly papers hung in the indoor hutches room and once a week use hutch cleaner that supposed to deter them.

Touch wood i have never had a problem yet........i have said it now haven't i :roll:

Back