• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to store hay...?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
How do people store hay...?
I've always bought hay from Pets At Home. Which is fine, because my rabbits will eat it and certainly seem to enjoy it. They can be quite enthusastic about it. Barney especially likes to stick his head into a big ball of it and ends up with a wig...

But I've been considering buying hay from semi-local farms... I saw a sign yesterday when we were driving to a garden centre saying hay & straw for sale. But if I buy the hay, and it's in a bale, how would I store it? The stuff I currently buy from P@H comes in a plastic bag, and if I role this tightly so it never gets damp, etc, then it's fine. But without a plastic bag or something, I think I'll need to invest in a bin...?

I have got 2 big printer recycling boxes the type that businesses use. They've never been used but my dad works for the packaging company that make them. They're good cos they've got lids aswell cos I worry about flies laying their eggs in it.

Nicola

I've recently bought a bale for £4, the rabbits love it and it's saved me loads of money. I'm also not 'tight' with the hay if you know what I mean, they can have loads without me worrying about running out or affording more.

For storage I put a wanted post on Freecycle for a wheelie bin and a very kind lady not only gave me one but delivered it too! It's great as I can wheel it out to the car to get the hay and then from hutch to hutch. And the bale fitted in exactly (you need the large sized wheelie bin)

Back