• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Videojug video on how to care for rabbits

Apart from '50% hay and straw' (should be more hay, and they can't get nourishment from straw) and 'occasional lettuce and carrot' (occasional veg, and lettuce in particular will upset their tummy) - I thought it was extremely good! And so was the bunny film star! :D

I didnt like the way the bunny was picked up.

I thought they could have mentioned more about flystrike, vaccinations etc.

I think they covered the basics very well - if you give people too much information at once they get confused and just switch off :)

Hmm, well, here goes -

Mentioning keeping 2 rabbits is good, but they only mentioned keeping 2 of the same sex. Didn't mention neutering when keeping rabbits together :? :?

It said to keep them on straw OR woodshavings. Would have thought it's not a good idea to keep them on woodshavings alone.

When they lifted, they didn't immediately support the back legs. I thought it was important always to do this as if they kick hard they can fracture their spine.

Half the diet - straw and hay?? Should be more like 80% hay, I'd have thought.

The only veg mentioned was lettuce :? and carrots. No mention of leafy greens or herbs.

It would have been good to mention that rabbits can easily be litter trained to a tray.

It was mentioned that while grooming you should "pick the droppings off your rabbit" If the bun has droppings stuck to it or a dirty bottom, there could be a problem with diet (not enough hay! ;) ) No mention of checking for flystrike either.

No mention of vaccinations.

To me, it seemed a bit out of date - like the kind of advice you'd maybe have got 10 years ago.

Just my opinions, of course ;) and I'm only picking out the points I thought weren't great. There was good info in there too ;) Interesting to see what everyone thinks :)

I do know what elve means about not wanting to give too much information, I just think the information could have been slightly improved.

I got fed up at the part where they were feeding Muesli.

Prior to that I didnt like the rabbit being scruffed and the hutches had too bigger mesh on the door and the use of only one lock didnt stop the door kicking out at the bottom, I know a few buns who could have gotten out of their.

Anyway we could make one??? You can submit your own videos.... how to check for flystrike etc... or email them and tell them its a bit outdated?

Back