• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castrated Rabbit

Hello everyone - wonder if anybody can help me. I have a castrated male lop rabbit and his former partner died of old age. I have got him a speyed female for company as he looked so miserable on his own and was losing weight, but all he wants to do is mount her - she lets him but then he starts biting her back and pulling her skin right up when he does it. When they are both exhausted they lie together really cuddly and friendly, but then the bonking starts again !!! I am loathe to give up on the pairing as they seem well suited. I know in horses a castration doesn't always work - the horse is called a "rig" and still has mating urges. Is it possible for this to happen to a rabbit? Should I take him to the vet to see if there's further surgery to take away his mating urges? Thanks very much for any advice. Karen

Is he as old as the one that died? How long has he been neutered for? I'm guessing ages, so I can only think it's just dominance mounting as rabbits do that when a new bunny comes on the scene. It's only a problem if he breaks the skin (she will probably get an abscess if he does, which will need treating by a vet, so check for lumps) or if she gets fed up and attacks him.

More questions :) How long has he been with the new girl, and were they introduced on neutral territory where he's never been before, as this is advisable? What are they living in at the moment, space wise?

How long have they been together? If they are still quite newly bonded he may still be trying to assert his dominance.

I also have bunnies that have been bonded for over a yr & they still hump but fortunately the girlies don`t seem to mind & they`re all neutered.

I`ve never heard of an incomplete neuter on a male, but it can happen with does when they leave some of the ovarian tissue.

HTH

Su.x

If your male rabbit is biting the fur when he is mounting the female, this is all normal as many males will hold on at times. When rabbits are bonded they will mount each other, it is all part of them needing to work out who is the dominant rabbit, this will settle as they have been together. Your rabbits sound as if they are displaying 'normal' behaviour when they are being bonded, if you leave them together this should settle, however the occassional mounting will still occur.

Incidentaly 2 females will also mount each other to sort out their hierachy and to maintain this hierachy.

Thanks for your help :) I introduced them on Sunday on neutral territory - a 12 ft square stable. Dreamboy has only been neutered about six months, he's a rescue and the lady thinks he's about 18 months old. Tickle, the female, is also a rescue, it is thought about six years old. This morning I was beginning to think the pairing would have to be aborted as he continued to chase her and she had under the hutch in the stable all the time, but this evening she was out in the open and he was leaving her alone. The dominance theory is really helpful, thanks - it seems that is what he is doing. When he was mounting her continually yesterday he wasn't only biting her skin but pulling it right upwards at the same time - yuck! He hasn't broken the skin though. I've shut her in the hutch for the night so she can rest. I am a little more hopeful that things will settle down. Thanks everyone for your very helpful advice. Best Wishes, Karen.

I am sure you will find in the next few days that the mounting will subside once they have established who is dominant. It all sounds very normal to me.

Good Luck.

Things have settled down now - he is pretty much leaving her alone and they both seem quite happy together. I'm confident enough to leave them in the stable at night together now - before I shut her in a hutch so she could get some peace from him !

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help and advice.

Karen

Back