• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reducing Dust in Hay

Missy

Warren Scout
Hi

I wondered if any of you have heard of this advice I was given today?

I use baled hay and was told to keep dust to a minimum at the moment due to sneezy bun (she's on meds) I was going to buy a bag of dust free hay but was told to carry on with the baled hay but to run a handful of it under the tap then squeeze it out and feed it straight to the buns.

I'd never heard of giving wet hay before and did ask if it can cause bloat but apparently it's often fed to horses that way.

Yes it is sometimes fed to horses like this, but i wouldn't feed it to my buns like that :?

I agree, I feed horses wet hay but I wouldn't bunnies.

Probably the best thing you can do is transfer the hay into a sack and shake it out as you go along, that'll get rid of most of the dust.

I'm not sure about feeding wet hay to rabs. I get the dustfreehay as a matter of course, and it's great. My snuffly bun hasn't shown symptoms since I started using it. I don't us anything else as bedding, and use wooden cat litter pellets as litter and (touch wood) his snuffles has cleared up for now.

I was advised by the vet that Charly might have eaten wet hay prior to his GI statis episode. I don't think i would risk it but i am a newbie. How about putting some of it in a sack tying it up and take your frustration on it. I'm sure a good few hits would get the dust out of it for you.:lol:

Just out of interest what is the issue with wet hay for buns, does it caus tummy upsets then?
I am another horsey person and will happily feed wet hay to a horse.
Am intrigued!

Just out of interest what is the issue with wet hay for buns, does it caus tummy upsets then?
I am another horsey person and will happily feed wet hay to a horse.
Am intrigued!

I don't really know myself, other than I only have to look at my lot funny and they get GI Stasis, wet hay would be just the excuse they need:roll:

I'm not sure about feeding wet hay to rabs. I get the dustfreehay as a matter of course, and it's great. My snuffly bun hasn't shown symptoms since I started using it. I don't us anything else as bedding, and use wooden cat litter pellets as litter and (touch wood) his snuffles has cleared up for now.

Hi

HS - It's good to hear your buns snuffles cleared up with the dust free hay, I'm going to get a bag today to be going on with. I use the wooden cat litter pellets too do you cover the cat litter with the hay or have the hay in a rack? Mine was in a rack but I wondered if it was making her worse if the dust fell down when she was eating it.

I did think the same about wet hay causing tummy problems although she did just say to wet a handful in warm water, I know if a large quantity of hay was left wet it would be at risk of mould.

HIPPO27 can I ask why you feed wet hay to your Horse is that a dust issue? I know Horses have a similar digestive system to rabbits.

I cover the litter with hay. They also have hay racks and a big box of hay to sit in.

Yes it can be if the horse has respiratory problems that it is soaked or for the fatties it can be soaked to get rid of some of the nutrients so as to help keep neddies weight down.
I know people that soak hay even overnight and then feed with no ill effects although horses will generally eat most of there hay pretty quick so not really any chance for it to go mouldy.
I had also heard the bunny digestive system was similar to horses which is why I was curious as to whether buns could have wet hay or not.

Yes it can be if the horse has respiratory problems that it is soaked or for the fatties it can be soaked to get rid of some of the nutrients so as to help keep neddies weight down.
I know people that soak hay even overnight and then feed with no ill effects although horses will generally eat most of there hay pretty quick so not really any chance for it to go mouldy.
I had also heard the bunny digestive system was similar to horses which is why I was curious as to whether buns could have wet hay or not.

Yes she did say the hay would lose some of it's nutrients but wouldn't do any harm as my bun is slightly over weight.
The advice did come from a vet, the surgery treats Equine & farm animals as well as small animals. I suppose I wont know unless I try it but I've decided to use the dust free hay for now rather than risk a tummy upset whilst on meds.

Back