• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grief can lead to rash decisions!

tulips2kissu

Young Bun
We have kept outdoor rabbits for the last four years. We started with a bonded pair of neutered rescue bunnies who lived happily outside for two years until we lost the male. The remaining female, a black and white dutch, lovingly called 'Funny Bunny' was on her own for a year as we knew we were moving house. She moved with us and settled in to her new garden, kept company by our loverly, soft moggy.
As everything was going smoothly, I decided the time was right to get her a new boyfriend and so we found 'Jack Rabbit'. Another gorgeous dutch who bonded with her in an instant. As we had found him in a pet store he was too young to neuter so we waited the two months required until he was four months old believing all would be fine as Funny Bunny was supposedly speyed. Three days after Jack was finely neutered I walked into the garden to say goodnight to them both only to find Funny Bunny lying dead with a dead baby stuck half way out! I couldn't believe it, especially as she had been to the vet with Jack to have a full MOT! Not even the vet had realised she was pregnant, and why would he? She was supposed to have been speyed four years ago...
Not much could be done other than to bury mother and baby. Jack was beside himself and I decided to get him a new companion asap. I found 'Isabunny', or Izzy for short, within a few days. A sweet, black baby girl with the longest ears and back feet you had ever seen! Gorgeous she was, and gorgeous Jack thought she was too! Four days of bliss!
I came home from work four days later to find Izzy missing completely and after an hour or so rushing about searching I called our local vet to discover that she had been found, hurt, and brought in. A half feral cat being fed by the neighbour had snuck in and grabbed her causing damage to her head. :( Despite doing everything they could the vet was unable to save her and we were mortified. I felt so awful. I felt that we had brought her home only to her death. Having been so chuffed to find her and thinking we would be able to give her such a great home, I felt like her murderer.
After a days hard crying I decided I couldn't face the pain of losing bunnies any more and made the decision to try and rehome Jack. I put his profile on the rabbit rehoming website last week. I felt like a heathen, traiterous, cruel, bunny murdering mare. I didn't think I deserved to keep my precious rabbit anymore.
One week later and I feel an utter numbskull! How could I possiby have even considered giving Jack Rabbit away? He is so lovely and brings us so much pleasure. I have taken his profile off the rehoming site and set up a huge indoor haven for him. He is currently bouncing around the garden as we are all home to watch over him but he will come in when he's ready or when I whistle for him (I kid you not!). For now he will have us and the moggy for company until this new situation is the norm. Then, perhaps, we may even think about biting the bullet one more time and getting him another companion. Perhaps a sligthly older, neutered female rescue bun!
Until then, lesson learned... losing bunnies hurts. It hurts a lot, espesially if the circumstances of losing them are violent and unexpected. However, time helps and it is important not to lose faith in the living! I guess we all make mistakes and it is hard to know when a new and dangerous predator has taken residence. I will never assume that a safe environment will always remain that way. Check and recheck. Every day!
Bunnies are the best!
Let me know what you think of this story. I would appreciate advice, feedback and general response. I guess I still feel guilty.

Awww - what a traumatic time you've had :( I can't see that Jack is suffering now though, so you have made him happy and are a good bunny mum - you couldn't have forseen the tragedies that happened to your other bunnies :( I for one am sure that single bunnies can be quite happy if kept in the house with plenty of human company (and he's not the first one that has a cat for a friend either) - I have 2 single bunnies outside and they seem happy with life, so you are the best judge of it :)

My reaction to losing my first bunny Pepsi was slightly different though :shock: I was so upset as I'd only had him 4 months, and it was an unforseen accident that I should have forseen, so I felt awful. I adopted a group of 5 bonded females and was then so busy and overwhelmed I didn't have time to think about anything - and I figured they couldn't ALL die at once, so it was a case of safety in numbers for me :)

Cor blimey!

10 new bunnies! Wow! A tempting way to go I have to say but I can't risk it until I know I can keep them safe from that ferral monster who is still prowling around next door!
I shall see how it goes with him indoors first then think about expanding the fold. I know myself well enought to know that I wont be able to help myself after too long though! The thought of bunnies hopping about my feet is just loverly!:D
Thanks for your response. :wave:

sorry... was only five buns you had wasn't it! I read 'five bonded' and assumed they werebonded pairs, but now I reread your post and realise they are bonded sisters.
So Cute!

Yeah but a month after that I rescued the entire stock from a guinea pig breeder - I have no living room, just a guinea pig room (see the names on my sig) :shock: I laughed when I saw the title of your thread cos it was grief that led to sooooo many rash decisions of mine :roll: Still, I seem to be managing - just about - no time to worry about anything any more :lol:

Thought I would say Hi as I live not to far from you :wave: You seem to have things all sorted now.He sounds that he is a very loved little bunny.You will know when the time is right for the both for you to have a new addition.
By the sounds of it, it want be that long:D
Take care
Carol x

Hi Carol X and elve! Thanks for your support. I am trying to post pics of him to show off his most handsomeness! Have registered with Photobucket but can't seem to find the upload button! Weird. Shall persevere as he is well sorth showing off. He is currently tucking into a carrot as hubby sets up the BBQ for us. Happy families! :D

:( I can see why you would feel you didn't want bunnies anymore after all that happened, but I'm glad you kept your boy :) I have to be careful with cats around here, I don't have a garden as I live in a flat, but we have had a cat come into our house via windows on more than one occassion, once into the same room that we were all in :shock: I have to be really careful now. I know a lot of people on here let their bunnies have access to the whole garden, but I think it would worry me so much!
My bunny is also single at the moment, I don't think he suffers because of it! I am looking into getting him a friend, but he seems quite content as he is :) Good luck if you decide to get Jack a friend though :D

I lost my bunny due to sickness. I sore I'd never have anther bunny, especially as the older I got the more I realised what I'd done wrong and that it all my fault. It took me 10 years to get another bunny and I still get upset over Daisy!

Your story made me cry!!:cry: Please don't feel guilty, I know its hard, but you are a very good rabbit mummy and accidents happen, we have all been there with the what ifs and if onlys... your two girls loved you and it isn't your fault they died... I felt so guilty after my rescue bunny Troy died, of lung cancer, I had only had him 10 weeks and I loved him soooooo much, felt like my heart had been ripped out when he died, there was nothing I could have done for him, we spent £80 on him in a weekend and he was pumped full of drugs... but I kept thinking if only I had seen things earlier... I said I would never have anymore buns... now I have taken in two unwanted girls, Isabelle and Pixie Boo!!

Last edited:
thats so sad:( please dont blame yourself. when something like that happens i know you question yourself but nothing was your fault, everything you did youd id with the best intentions and it was just so so unlucky things turned out the way they did. xxxxxx

Thanks for everyone's support. It really makes a difference! I have never joined an online forum before and am truly surprised and delighted to find out how helpful and supportive this type of interaction can be. Like minds provide just the right commentry in my opinion.
Really... huge thanks. :D

I'm so sorry for the heart ache you've been through.

I pray things start to improve for you xxx

So sorry you've had to go through such a horrid time with your darling buns. :(

Jack looks like a little sweetie.

Oh, that is so sad, what a rough time you have had, poor bunnies, but one thing I have learned from keeping rabbits is that you cannot blame yourself, you do what is right at the time, so please dont feel guilty.

I am sure you will adopt another bunny and when you are ready give us a call we have loads waiting for new homes and Olney is not that far from us.

You're absolutely right of course...I'm already surfing the rescue sites for suitable bunny adopties! Warwickshire seems a long way though! How far is too far for bunnies to travel?
Jack will need another few days to get used to his indoor home and I will need to consider hutch space before getting a second. He is currently using a large dog cage and has the run of the living room when we are out and the whole house and garden when we are in. I have been looking at suitable indoor hutches but am in two minds as to what I should invest in...Any suggstions?
Can you post a link to any information on your bunnies in need?
Am thinking a neutered doe seeking a horny (but neutered) husband! She needs to get used to a huge, soft bunny friendly cat too...

You're absolutely right of course...I'm already surfing the rescue sites for suitable bunny adopties! Warwickshire seems a long way though! How far is too far for bunnies to travel?
Jack will need another few days to get used to his indoor home and I will need to consider hutch space before getting a second. He is currently using a large dog cage and has the run of the living room when we are out and the whole house and garden when we are in. I have been looking at suitable indoor hutches but am in two minds as to what I should invest in...Any suggstions?
Can you post a link to any information on your bunnies in need?
Am thinking a neutered doe seeking a horny (but neutered) husband! She needs to get used to a huge, soft bunny friendly cat too...

We're travelling approximately 130 miles from Leeds/Bradford to Birmingham to collect little Jet at the weekend.

What about the home visit though?
I have checked and rechecked rescue buns in Beds, Bucks and Northants (the three closest to me) and there is only one potential single female bun (Lulu). I am keep ing an eye on her posting every day... she is however so like our just lost Izzy that I'm not sure my ten year old could handle it. Not that I've asked yet but even i find it a difficult thought at the moment. :cry:

Back