• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Saw Fox in garden!!!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I saw a fox in my garden last night. I came right up to the house so it's not shy. I have no buns at the present time but I'm scared about them when I do get them. It was well-fed and healthy so hopefully, won't try to get to them. What precautions can I make to make my future buns as safe as poss? Thanks.

You have to assume foxes are a round even if you don't see any - therefore all hutches and runs should have welded mesh (not chicken wire) secured with bolts and runs on slabs to avoid digging in or out... It is ok to have runs on grass etc. as long as they are supervised :)
I also cover the front of the hutches with tarpauline at night so that they don't get too scared by foxes.
If you get a good quality hutch/run you should be fine :D

We saw a fox in our garden not long after we got Loki and it meant that we upgraded his hutch/run to ones that have strong welded mesh pretty sharpish! Foxes are a worry and I guess you just have to take all the necessary precautions - locks & bolts on the hutch/run, strong mesh and on a surface where a fox can't dig in.

Fox deterant

I had trouble with a fox a few years ago and at the time I worked for a veterinary pharmaceutical company. Over lunch with about ten companion animal vets I asked if anyone had any ideas. They suggested that I get my husband and two sons (needs to be males) to pee around the edge of the garden i.e. mark their territory. It worked a treat! I kid you not!
Makes sense really.
I wouldn't rely on it completely of course. You'll still need to ensure the bunny runs and hutches are safe and secure but it stopped this fox coming into the garden and sitting on top of the hutch worrying my bun!
You will also need to keep the pee smell fresh for a month or so to ensure that fox realises the garden is off limits and changes his prowling route altogether.
Hope you have a few handy guys available!

thanks. quite disturbing image but anyway. :lol: do you think i should be a sloping piece of wood on the top of the hutch so the fox can't sit on it?

Sounds like a plan! Although my bunnies hutch roof was sloping and the fox sat there anyway. A guess a bigger slope than you might expect would work! I honestly do recommend the peeing idea though. It may be a nasty image but it works.
I did have to bribe my boys to do it though...

saw a fox in the garden

Only one:shock: :roll: :roll: lucky you:shock: I had a fox in my kitchen AGAIN this morning:oops: :) :) :)

House Rabbit ! you avoid all foxes and cats etc !

P9080363.jpg
[/IMG]

charlie.jpg
[/IMG]

:D

Last edited:
saw a fox in the garden

Sorry to tell you this BUT i had houserabbits:) The fox came into my house and attacked one of my bunnies:shock: :cry: luckily she survived but developed a nasty abcess caused by a wound to her throat which required surgery twice:shock: :cry: A vixen comes into my kitchen every day & steals my cats food bowls:shock: so NO they are not safe indoors you still have to be very careful:cry:

Back