• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for 7ftx7ftx3ft run??

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I'm looking for a 7ftx7ftx3ft run so I can put a 6ftx6ftx2ft hutch into it. Would I ever find such a big run? Will I have to build it? If I do, how do I build a run? What materials do I need? Thanks.

maybe you should fing the materials and get someone to make it for you, as finding one that big will be a real mission.
my father made mine as a two story run with a pent house and a partition it in case of trouble, all made out of an old run, chicken wire, old fence pannels, and an old double bed from the dump!
sadly midnight spends zilch time in it because there is always someone in the garden so most of her time she potters round the garden chasing the squirrels! :-D

Last edited:
Since there would only be 1'x7' run space free once you have the hutch inside it, it would be a waste of £100 really - that's approx what a big run costs. Wouldn't it be better to get a happyhutch hutch over run from ebay - the 6x2 over a 6x4 run, connected by a ramp? That way the rabbits have tons of space. What your idea means is that they will need another run to go in as well as this one, since this one will be filled with hutch, so that will be really expensive.

i know what you are saying but I wouldn't like to have a ramp because my previous bun broke her back by jumping off it. I'm thinking of something like this:

sorry sillyrabbit for using your pictures. hope you don't mind.

This is what I have for Buu

DSC01368.jpg

DSC01380.jpg

Since there would only be 1'x7' run space free once you have the hutch inside it, it would be a waste of £100 really -

i presume she means 7ft long 7 ft wide and 3 ft high leaving a run space of justover 7x5

i would try and find a local carpenter, they should be able to make exactly what you want and it will cost alot less than a shop bought

i presume she means 7ft long 7 ft wide and 3 ft high leaving a run space of justover 7x5

i would try and find a local carpenter, they should be able to make exactly what you want and it will cost alot less than a shop bought

Glad someone else spotted that as I was just going to point it out too :D

I would not make it much higher than 2 ft and a bit, otherwise the bunnies could jump on top of the hutch and then injure themselves when jumping back down.
Another problem I see is that the hutch will be so low, that cleaning it can get very exhausting. And slugs and snails and other animals can get in more easily, too. If you are scared of using a ramp, then ask a carpenter or a DIY buff to add some wood on either side of the ramp to form a tunnel rather than just a flat board. Probably much cheaper than having the big run built. And you can put the hutch facing away from the run and then the cleaning part will be very easy.
Just an idea. :D
Do you have a big enough area with concrete or slabs?

Ah yes - sorry :D

I contacted Albany pets to ask for a price for an 8x4x3(h) folding run with a lid and they said they can't do that size, so Rog made one at the weekend for me..actually he made two...one for Le-anne as well. My other 8x4x3 was made by someone on ebay and it cost £95.00 a year ago(incl postage)

thanks Jayney. That's exactly what I mean. I've decided to get a hutch on long legs so I don't have to bend down to clean out. They are going to have 6 hours a day in a large run anyway and about 3 hours a day with free range of garden at dawn and dusk, so hopefully, they'll be fine with that. thanks everyone.

thanks Jayney. That's exactly what I mean. I've decided to get a hutch on long legs so I don't have to bend down to clean out. They are going to have 6 hours a day in a large run anyway and about 3 hours a day with free range of garden at dawn and dusk, so hopefully, they'll be fine with that. thanks everyone.

But remember that you will have to be with them in the garden for every minute of those 3 hours. A phone call or a quick trip to the toilet is all it takes for Mr Fox to get his chance.

The 7 ft by 4 ft by 2 ft runs from Zooplus are quite good to put on grass. I have a smaller run from Albany Pets and I am disappointed with the quality of the wood. We've already had to repair a few of the hinges, because the wood is so soft that the screws have broken out of it. The Happy Hutch run is made of better wood, and taller.

thanks. do you think I should get some wire mesh to put on the floor of the run, wide-spaced ones?

No, they could injure themselves on it. Sometimes they zoom around so fast and then they could get a nail stuck or twist their foot. Some bunnies also get sore hocks from hopping on mesh.
You could either make sure that your are around when they are using the run on grass or, if it is their permanent run, put it on slabs or put strong wire mesh (like the hutch doors have) under the run, but with a layer of turf on top.

we are hoping to be around in the house when they are in the run, they are going to be in it for about 6 hours a day. There will be at least someone in the house at all times, but if for some reason, everyone is out, shall we put them back into their hutches?

we are hoping to be around in the house when they are in the run, they are going to be in it for about 6 hours a day. There will be at least someone in the house at all times, but if for some reason, everyone is out, shall we put them back into their hutches?

Yes, that's what I do. I am working from home and can see their hutch and also the runs on the lawn from my desk (I have another run for my foster bunnies). But if I go out to do shopping etc. I put all bunnies back into their hutches.

Its so difficult finding a decent sized run. :evil: Mine were 6x4 but I had that each for 2 rabbits. Obviously now I have a group of 6 I wanted something bigger. I was going to put 2 of my runs together but even then they weren't high- about 2 foot and looked tiny :evil:

I'm lucky because Capel's husband made me a superb 8x4x3! :D

I think the best thing you can do is find someone who is handy with wood and then you can have it made to your specifications... ;)

my bunnies stay in their run all day when i am out at work otherwise they would hardly get to use it.

if the run is secure and has a lid i dont see the problem with leaving them in it

thanks jayney. i would love to do that. we usually have someone in the house at all times so if someone did go out, it'll only be for about 2 hours max. Would it be ok for me to leave them in the run? We have seen a fox around, but he was well-fed so hopefully, won't try to get them if it's too hard.

Back