• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eek! New addition to the family next week

Ali - Loki

Young Bun
Hi

I hope the pictures below post properly as I seem to be having a technology block at the moment :lol:

We went to visit little Lottie at the RSPCA yesterday and she is a gorgeous Lionhead lady around a year old. We are hoping to bond her with Loki (I have never posted pictures of Loki before either so I hope that this works!), but I am really nervous and wondered if I could get some advice?

The lady at the RSPCA said to put them in neighbouring runs for a few days so that they could get used to each other - would that be the best way of starting the bonding process. We have neutral territory in the spare room and I have ordered a Zooplus pen to put them in together, but I wondered if just putting them in together "and seeing what happens" would be a disaster?

Lottie hasn't her myxi and VHD jabs yet (she is neutered though), so she will be booked into the vets for them as soon as we get her next weekend. Would it best to wait until she has had her vaccinations before we attempt to bond them together? I was also thinking of starting them both on a course of Panacur as soon as she arrives and also to treat them both for fleas etc. Am I being too cautious? The RSPCA aren't aware of any health problems and she has been with them for two weeks now - would it be a good idea to wait until she has had a thorough vet check before introducing her to Loki?

I'm really nervous and want to the the right thing for Lottie, Loki and my nerves so any advice/vibes would be appreciated!

Lokilivingroom.jpg
WR2649Lottie.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg

Sorry that the pictures are massive - told you I was having a technophobe moment! Promise to get it sorted before I attempt picture posting again!

Hi. I think some people would say and I would prob agree to give your new bun at least a week to settle in. This will also give you the chance to see if there are any ailments that haven't previously shown up. I know a lot of rescues do a 2 week quarantine when new buns come in. As to the bonding, you could try the placing side by side and see how it goes or just put them together in neutral ground. It really depends how brave you are!
As for the jabs, prob a good idea to get them done before bonding, although others may say its ok after. I personally don't worm my buns, I really am against putting any chemicals into my animals or on them - eg frontline on the dogs - unless i have to. I know a lot of people say prevention is better than cure, but I keep such a close eye on all my animals I would notice almost instantly if there was a problem. i have never panacured a bun or pig and consequently never had a problem. This doesn't mean to say I won't in the future.
However if you are going to panacur one I would panacur the other, at least then it's easier to remember when they are next due if it's on the same day!
Good luck, they both look gorgeous! x Jess

Certainly worm them both, EC is a hidden disease and is often carried without showing symptoms. That dosnt mean that because it dosnt affect one rabbit it wont affect another so its better safe than sorry in my view.

Thanks for the replies!
Sooz22 - Loki had a 9 day course of Panacur about 2 months ago - would it be okay to give him a 9 day course again so soon?

Yes it is. The manufacturers recommend using it at times of high risk, such as when introducing a new rabbit and they even state it can be used 4 times yearly (I only use it every 6 months).

When I put Tia and Benny in dog crates next to each other, he took a chunk out of her face and I never did bond them, so make sure they're not within biting distance of each other.

Back