• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rosie is poorly - U/D she's home! And we have poo!!

Rosie Rabbit

Mama Doe
Rosie went into stasis yesterday - we noticed her looking uncomfortable around 4.40pm, though it might have been a couple of hours before that since she'd eaten.

She hasn't had an episode of stasis since I've been posting here, so we did the Infacol/tummy rubs thing twice (which I learned here) but it seemed to make no difference. We phoned the emergency vet and Rob took her there late evening for treatment. He gave us recovery food (and a syringe which was far too small and wouldn't work :roll: ) and we tried to feed her that but she wasn't having any of it. She did drink a little water though. The injections from the vet didn't seem to help as we tried to get her to eat and drink every couple of hours during the night without success.

Anyway, she was no different this morning, so Rob phoned the vet first thing and took her in at 9am. They are keeping her in and there's no improvement yet. We've to phone at 4pm.

I am going mad here, can't settle at all and am really upset :cry: I am so useless at coping when there is anything wrong with her :oops: :(

So if you've any spare vibes for Rosie, they'd be very welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. Me, Clover and Dusty send get well soon vibes to poor Rosie. x

Oh no poor Rosie.and poor you..theres no way of relaxing in these circumstances..but try.your M.E will respond badly to this stress so please try to think well shes in the best place. There theyll be able to rehyrdate her with sub q fluids..which is part of the prob..the intestines contents getting dry and impacted.
she may have teeth probs gone unoticed...bif always hides hers till shes really ill. I was offerred a dental whilst she was in stais and the senior vet seemed offended i refused!! i did have to have her done a few days later tho and luckily she pulled through but was ill for a long time. i now have a diff vet!!

im sending hus for you.ive been thee once too many times.....

and sending vies and nosey rubs from me nikki bertie n bif.willow and the kitties salem and zuzu ( who are honorary bunnies)

Aww, sorry to hear this. Hope she picks up soon.

I've had a few occasions where one of my bunnies hasn't picked up quickly. Nothing more heart breaking than a bunny who doesn't want anything to eat if you ask me. :(

I would be checking that she is getting good pain relief and regular gut stimulants, may be see it they vet can give you some at home to give her too. Mines always do better with some warm fluids via the syringe and a little dash of pineapple juice for sweetness, they rarely coperate with this if they haven't had any painkillers though. Heat pads seem to help lots too as they lose heat rapidly.

When syringe feeding I always use the syringe you can buy in Dentinox Infant Colic drops in the baby section at Tesco. I snip the end right off and it leaves a wide bore 5ml syringe. I mush down the recovery mix only a little and mix it in with some banana baby food. The wide syringe means you can suck up the food when it is pasty rather than all liquidy, meaning it doesn't run out of their mouths. Its difficult to get it into their mouths but means you can get lots of fibre in.

Know you will have covered all of this, but just to say hope she is ok too

Fiona x

Thanks so much everyone, your kind thoughts are really appreciated :)

Sending lots of vibes for Rosie. Why do they always pick a bank holiday? :roll: X

It's actually not a bank holiday here in Scotland today ;)

But I know what you mean - they always seem to need to go to the vet at the weekends - or at least in the evenings :rolleyes:

Awww Helen, i really hope she starts improving very soon. I will be thinking of her today :(

Sending looaads of vibes and hugs for you xx

Aww, sorry to hear this. Hope she picks up soon.

I've had a few occasions where one of my bunnies hasn't picked up quickly. Nothing more heart breaking than a bunny who doesn't want anything to eat if you ask me. :(

I would be checking that she is getting good pain relief and regular gut stimulants, may be see it they vet can give you some at home to give her too. Mines always do better with some warm fluids via the syringe and a little dash of pineapple juice for sweetness, they rarely coperate with this if they haven't had any painkillers though. Heat pads seem to help lots too as they lose heat rapidly.

When syringe feeding I always use the syringe you can buy in Dentinox Infant Colic drops in the baby section at Tesco. I snip the end right off and it leaves a wide bore 5ml syringe. I mush down the recovery mix only a little and mix it in with some banana baby food. The wide syringe means you can suck up the food when it is pasty rather than all liquidy, meaning it doesn't run out of their mouths. Its difficult to get it into their mouths but means you can get lots of fibre in.

Know you will have covered all of this, but just to say hope she is ok too

Fiona x

Thank you Fiona, that's really helpful. I should know all of that but I panic a bit when it actually happens so thank you for refreshing my memory. I will be checking with the vet about regular gut stimulants and pain relief. The wider syringe is also something I will definitely get hold of for the future.

I know this is something you have to cope with a lot - I don't know how you do it!

Lots of vibes for Rosie. We've just got through a bad few days with Ben, but he pulled through with some TLC and gut stimulants. I hope she starts to get better soon.

Back