• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E Cuniculi question

Kate F

Young Bun
Hi hoping that you knowledgable guys can help me.... 3 months ago I took on a baby rabbit who only weighed 225gsm and was the runt of the litter. At first all fine except for not gaining weight. He seemed to eat non stop. The vet suggested building him up with porridge which he loves. Unfortunately he started losing power in his back legs and our vet thought he might have EC so he has had panacur for the last 28 days. He has improved no end and now weighs near 600gsm and lives in our lounge!! Although for a while he did seem to get the use back slightly of his hind legs it seems to have all disappeared now although definitly has feeling and reflexes. He pulls himself around and legs are quite spindly but when being cuddled (often!) he licks you all over (love or looking for salt?). He is due back at the vet tomorrow, but my question is will his legs ever get better or is the damage irriversible?

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give you the background..:D :D :D

Hello :wave:

I would ask you Vet about doing some physio on your Bunny. He will have lost a lot of muscle during times of immobility and as he appears to have feeling in his hind legs it may be that he just has no muscle power.

I would also ask the Vet about keeping the Panacur going for at least 6 weeks. Has he had any anti-inflammatories whilst on Panacur. The EC spores cause inflammation in the tissue they errupt in and if this tissue is in the CNS it can lead to loss of use of the hind legs.

Sometimes damage done by EC is permanent BUT that does not mean the Bun cant still have a good quality of life. *If* your Bun is left permanently disabled I suggest you PM Jaypot on here. She has vast experience of caring for severely disabled Bunnies and I am sure she will be able to offer you lots of advice.

It is still early days for your Bun and with prolonged treatment and physio he may regain some use of his hind legs.

Janex :)

ECuniculi

Thanks Jane for your advice. I like to go to the vet with a few options to talk to him about otherwise I just clam up. Bramble is so gorgeous I don't want to lose him so will try anything.

I just wondered about anti-inflammatory drugs but don't know if he is too little. Anyone know?
Definitely agree that more Panacur might be needed, more and more people seem to be thinking this, including me, and it appears that the '28 day' course is a figure not based on much research

Hope wee bunny is ok

Fiona x

Back