• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions re: new bun

JayUK

Mama Doe
Hi :wave:
From digesting lots of previous posts, I am now convinced that getting a friend is the right thing for Bertie, so I don’t need persuading, but would appreciate your opinions about a few questions i have regarding the happiness and welfare of the new bun (NewB)..
We'd get NewB from our local rescue, and ask Sue to bond them for us, so when we bring NewB home..

This is Bertie's home, how does that work for NewB?

As a bonded pair, could Bertie still be protective about his home, or would it be 'Welcome with all paws'?

How would Bertie's relationship change towards us?

As a single bun, Bertie gets all the attention and is only used to human contact.
NewB would come here with a partner, so may seem less our pet, just Berties mate. is it possible to build a happy bond with the NewB as wih Bertie?

We live in a 3 bed flat with a big balcony. Bertie had access to 90% of he flat when we’re here , including the balcony, and 50% of the flat when we're out.
He has his own room, and is only caged at night. Do 2 need double the room?

Any other imput/factors apppreciated.

As I'm sure you appreciate, this is a big decision for us, and we are not near making it yet, as we're only 6 months into having Bertie, & still learning all we can.
Also my OH is allergic to him, but the reactions are not so bad that he can't live with it, although his peak flow has come down a lot since we had him which is a bit of a worry.

When Bertie was away recently, he met a couple of other buns, and wasen't at all phased by them, & they seemed to get on OK, so this is what got us thinking more seriously about it and his happiness is our priority.

Thanks for your opinions and for reading. :D
b20web.jpg

If you bond them on neutral territory then bring them both home, that shouldn't be a problem. Also if the cage is really clean so there aren't any strong smells. But does Bertie really need a friend? I only ask cos I don't think house buns get lonely like outdoors ones do, and it seems a bit of a worry that your OH's peak flow is already worse. Have you thought about what you'd do if he couldn't stand the extra bun? Separating bonded buns is not good, you might have to rehome them both :(

If your O/H is allergic already it can only get worse with 2 bunnies, so if Bertie is happy (and single house bunnies with plenty of attention usually are) I would keep him as a singleton - your O/Hs quality of life is important too! :)

I had a similar situation - a single bun Jack and an allergic hubby. Jack was never meant to be a housebun, but for his first few weeks had to be due to being shaved. Anyway, we had to make the decision to move Jack outside as hubby's asthma got worse. So Jack now lives outside in the shed with his wifey Taz, and seems very happy. However, as I don't see him as much, our relationship has changed slightly, but I am sure he is happier with more space and the love of a good bunny :lol: If hubby hadn't been allergic, I may have been tempted to keep him in as a single bun though. This way, everyone is happy and healthy. Good luck with your decision :wave:

I'm glad you posted that as it's got me thinking too. We also have a house bunny who is atm very happy and getting huge amounts of attention but we were toying with the idea of getting him a 'friend' sometime in the future (he's in his room whilst we are out at work/school but has the run of the house whilst we are in) It has posed the question for me that perhaps I want another bun for me rather than for him!?

I think I will sit tight for a while longer! :?

Thanks for your help, and some good points raised. My OH's health has to be put before any decision, and he has another asthma clinic soon, so we'll see if the thigs we've done to help that situ (HEPA filters etc.) have helped.

JoF, his breathing per se is unaffected, but the peak flow drop was a bit unexpected, and this is obviously a big consideration for us.
I appreciate your emphasis on what would happen if it was too much, and the buns had to go.

I do think he's a happy bun indoors with us Elve, and my long suffering OH's health is vital too, so maybe we should leave things a s they are, but then Tamsin put something here a while ago that said something to the effect of us humans providing only a limited degree of company, and communication that buns can understand as we don't have ears, or their shape etc which made me think about it more seriously. I know that you can be lonely in a crowd.
I think Drboo's comments illustrate the point, although we couldn't have them outdoors, that Jack is happier now.

Jupiter, I'm just starting the decision process, it won't be for ages if at all, I did wonder wether it was for me, but it really isn't, although I must admit that I'd be a bit gutted if they both ignored me for the rest of their lives, but I only think of us as guardians, so that would be up to them I guess.

This is all really helpful, I'd be grateful for any more :wave:

Back