• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you wish you'd known....

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
when/before you got your first rabbit/s??

I've got a family that have never had buns before but want to keep a bun and a G.Pig together. :roll:

I've got all the RWA leaflets, not the ones on Dental problems, EC, or Penicillin yet, want them to read the 'basics' first.

I can't seem to find any specific info on not keeping buns and G.Pig's together....anyone help?

i wish i'd known just how attached i;d get to them!! i knew they were cute and fluffy but losing them would be like having an arm off!

as for g.p. info, my only source is here...

I wish I'd known they always get sick out of hours :roll: What is wrong with being poorly on a Monday morning? No - it must be Sunday night! :?

I can't seem to find any specific info on not keeping buns and G.Pig's together....anyone help?

Living with a House Rabbit (Linda Dykes and Helen Flack) cites health issues, different diets, possible injury to GP through rabbit kicks or being mounted. (And I have heard a really nasty story about the latter kind of injury lately :cry: )

I was lucky to get most info from my teacher and the pet store actually warned me of buying the tiny cage I originally planned to get.:D
The only thing I had to change later was the food, switched from Prestige Cuni Indoor mix to pellets.

I wish I knew not to fall for buying everything possible like plastic toys etc that they will never play with!! :lol: :lol:

Well I wished I knew Zakura would grow into such a monster....but it wasn't possible to predict as her parents were both rather nice. (Heard rumours that her mother was a bit angry before having her first litter but breeding Zakura just to make her calm down was out of the question. Why would I want 5 more rabbits just like her?:shock: )
I could also say I wished i knew not to breed rabbits just to get cute babies (as I wanted to breed Zakura) but at least I learned that before that time came and Zakura's still child-less, she's also been spayed so she'll never experience being a mom.

I wish I'd known they always get sick out of hours :roll: What is wrong with being poorly on a Monday morning? No - it must be Sunday night! :?

Haha, I agree! I wish I'd known about their ability to realise when it was out of hours so they can fall ill...

Actually, I wish I'd also known also about the correct diet. My first bunny had tooth problems, which the vet said might have been due to her being a very small, young pet shop born bunny.. but I still feel to blame because she had a diet of mostly rabbit mix and hay, as opposed to good quality hay and pellets. .-.

When i had my first bunnies a few years ago i wish i'd know that they shouldnt be kept with G.pigs, unfortunately my G.pig didnt survive :(

I wish I had known that 2 boys can't (usually) live together, then I wouldn't have to have given Marley up for rehoming.

I wish I'd known that they could be litter trained, and I wish I'd known about all the toys they love. Despite doing loads of research before I got Ruby and Millie I never read anything about litter training or great toys.:?

i wish id known how expensive they were before getting one. :shock: i was thinking the other day that if i didnt have any rabbits at all id have plenty of money (although im glad i do have the rabbits and their worth every penny)

i wish id known how expensive they were before getting one. :shock: i was thinking the other day that if i didnt have any rabbits at all id have plenty of money (although im glad i do have the rabbits and their worth every penny)

Ditto that. I got my first bunny for "free" and she cost me over 1400 NOK (too lazy to convert that:p no idea how much it is in english currency) In equipment the first visit to the pet store. Not to mention what she and the other two+the hamster cost me later on in feeding, toys and neutering of Zakura.

just how they would suck me in! I never thought I'd become so obsessed :rolleyes: I love buying hay and food and stuff for them. Even litter i love buying!!!

So yes I also ditto Crystal Butterfly's post - they cost me a fortune - i now have them on Oxbow pellets and Oat hay :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I wish I'd known about the buns in rescues so as I wouldn't have supported p@H mills, although of course I love my two to pieces! I also wish I'd known that the £70 hutch I bought was crappy and would leak so as I would have bought another one!

What I can't understand is how I knew about vaccinating, but never about rescuing, what on earth came up on google 4 years ago!:?

Back