• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to Fix the situation

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Hi. I am putting forward this post as i feel some issues need to be discussed, and maybe we can make the forum a better place by doing so.

I understand everyone has deifferent beliefs, and that is a healthy way to be.sometimes people put across their opinion which is good. but other people will put accross their opinion along with what i sometimes read and i know others do, as insults. i also believe that none of us should tell each other what to do.

Today someone was talking about rspca, cruelty etc, and said "one bunny should never live alone" like it was cruel. It made me feel like if that person knew me they would say i was cruel, bcus i have two bunnies that live alone.

I have seen posts when people put " they must be quite young bcus of etc etc etc"
im sorry but that is so rude. its agesist. im ninteen, does that mean if i say something you dont like your going to patronize me and say its cus im young?

I just think, that sometimes people should stop before putting things which can be seen as hurtful. Sometimes this forum makes me feel proud to have rabbits, bcus i know i look after them well. Other times it makes me feel like **** bcus of the things people say. I just think some people try to shove their opinions on to others, and when they dont agree they get posts slating them and some are so mean.

i dont want people to not have opinions but i do think people should be careful in the way they word comments, as it can be seen as hurtful..

does anyone else agree?

(please dont say "you cant expect everyone to agree" because i havent said thats what i want)

Sarah Jane xxxx

Its just because everyone on here wants the best for rabbits ;) Im sure everyone knows your not cruel to your animals. I have two single bunnies at the moment, hopefully they will bond but I dont see the problem with me keeping them single for another month or so as they get plenty of attention all day from me and my family :D

Its really hard to know how people are saying things too because you cant actually see them. I have written stuff before and then though omg that looks mean so edited it and added the little smiling head :D

Dont think I have seen anyone making comments about people being young though :D

Yes I know what you mean, perhaps people should think about how they say things and how they maybe perceived by others before posting. It's healthy to have different views, but how we say it is key:D

i think thats the point imt rying to make. its absolutely fair enough if you dont agree with someone, but people should say 'oh i personally dont agree because etc etc etc but i do see what you saying' rather than 'no youre wrong it is this way because'

i just feel a bit upset cus ive had a few comments recently which althought most of them wernt directed AT me, they were directed @ ppl who i am in a similar situation to.

today i went out and sat in my rabbit garden, and i had peanut on my lap and i was thinking "how would they look after you" and it made me feel so upset that some people think i dont care or im cruel. i love them so much, but sometimes i think...although i get good advice of here, it isnt worth the hurtful comments.

I don't think some people got out to be mean or say hurtful things - I think some things are misinterpreted, which is unfortunate and unnecessary. I don't know how this could be fixed, but maybe if we were all a little more considerate when posting on very topical and/or personal threads it may help. But on the flip side, who am I to tell people what to write?

Also, I have to admit I haven't written on some threads for fear of what people may think of what I write and how I look after my buns. I am a great believer that if my buns are happy and loved with regular checks/jabs and check-ups at the vet then I am doing and good job and I don't care what other people think.

I don't think we're even going to have a forum where no-one becomes upset by anothers writing, but maybe this thread might just start eveyone thinking before they do post in future.

maybe its just wrong to keep rabbits as pets at all? no matter how much space/attention they get? i was a child desperate for a rabbit and i was told no they arent supposed to be a caged animal i was given a hamster instead... its took me to the age of 29 before ive finally plucked up the courage to get a rabbit (no alot makes you cautious)... i intend to keep him single because he wont want for attention and i cant afford a pal for him, he has a dog and two human slaves plus two chipmunks to sniff at... i dont think that age really matters missy as im a lot older than you and very very inexperienced with rabbits.... but my love for animals would give everyone in this forum a run for thier money ;)... i dont feel gulity my baby aint a proper full breed from a breeder too.. he was an accident in someones yard and cost me £10... i guess feelings run deep on cruelty and human stupidity with rabbits but i believe all animals should be happy and healthy not jus fuzzy buns :D

Everyoen has differant opinions- but sometimes they can put them across to strongly and it makes them seem like they are being cruel or trying to force their opinions on other people, I bet this is accidental as there are some VERY passonate ( can't spell!) people on here that dedicate tehir lives to tehir rabbits.
I think how I look after them is fine, I am making their lives better but slowly, some people get the wrong end of the stick sometimes because I say I can't afford a spay, which they then think I can't afford a vet bill, but I don't want to use my emergancy vet fund on spaying incase soemthing terrible happens to my rabbits.

To be perfectly honest I don't liek posting on some threads because of what people say ( lol, i used to dread reading my PM messages!)
well, I can't remeber what I was going to type now :rolleyes: :oops:

i agree with you, i have put up a post before and people make comments without even thinking or having the facts right first.

exactly, sometimes it would be nice to see 'is your bunny spayed?'

instead of " If you dont get your rabbit spayed she may contract cancer, and if you cant afford it then you shouldnt have pets'

even thought they dont even know if the bunny is spayed in the first place, and they have no idea what their reasons are etc.

people should definatly find out facts before posting

I think I agree.

I know that everyone on here wants the best for any rabbit. But some people can often seem to be a little heavy handed in going about it. I know that sometimes circumstances are not made clear, but advice can be given without implying one person is somehow not good enough to own the rabbit... And it might be conflicting opinions, where one person (or, worse, a few) believe they're in the right... but it can be quite hurtful to be told that whther it be not having a rabbit spayed, a rabbit not being vaccinated or something simple like a rabbit being given wood shavings as bedding is somehow failing the animal. :?

People will always have very differing opinions and that's what people need to expect from a forum.

Having said that people should only give advice when it's asked for and not shove it down people's throats in a rude post.

With regards the age thing, I don't think it's patronising to ask how old someone is, it can explain someone's behavior if they are young and inexperienced, and it's not their fault how old they are. That said some adults can be just as inexperienced when it comes to animal care.

But yes, generally speaking people should try to be nice, I think everyone just wants the best for their rabbits and everyone else's rabbits on this forum.

like...i personally at the moment dont want to get Jelly spayed bcus i almost lost my dog to spaying cus she was small, and obviously my bunny is not even a quarter of the size.im still in limbo about it, but i will make the decision on my own. everytime i mention she is unspayed i get posts about how im bad bcus i dont get her spayed, and isnt fair. I dont want everyone to agree but i dont think people shou;d give advice where it isnt wanted. i know all the risks etc etc pros and cons, and i will make the decision on my own. i have a right to.

hiya missy :wave: dont feel bad on what peeps say... all you need to know is that you luv your babies and they get the best you can give.. without sitting in your house and seeing how you are people will make harsh comments as they only see the bad of this world (its the same pain we all feel when we see suffering of innocents).... from the other forum i see an luvly caring gal who rescued a bunny and was very very upset when she didnt make it :cry: .. made a very moving movie to stop people releasing rabbits to the wild and also took on a rescue bunny..i praise your generous nature for that

a bloke i work with is having awful trouble with his bun as shes now got all them hormones but she will not be spayed because thier last bun died because of the operation.. i dont blame his wife one bit for that and unless other peeps have lived through that loss id say they cant judge niether...

these forums are to help us all make the lives of our pets better not feel guilty because we cant quite get it perfect

like...i personally at the moment dont want to get Jelly spayed bcus i almost lost my dog to spaying cus she was small, and obviously my bunny is not even a quarter of the size.im still in limbo about it, but i will make the decision on my own. everytime i mention she is unspayed i get posts about how im bad bcus i dont get her spayed, and isnt fair. I dont want everyone to agree but i dont think people shou;d give advice where it isnt wanted. i know all the risks etc etc pros and cons, and i will make the decision on my own. i have a right to.

The trouble is most people genuinely give their advice thinking it's what is wanted. However, that said they shouldn't say you're a bad person for not getting her spayed, it's your choice and having been through what you have no one could blame you for that....

It's been said before, but we are all doing what we all think is right - never in a million years will we all agree :D

:wave: 5 unspayed bunnies and 2 single bunnies here - I have got used to it (the criticism) after 2 yrs so just ignore it as you know your animals better than anyone else, and you can see if they are happy and healthy, and you never know - has anyone come up with any statistics to prove that spayed bunnies live longer? I don't think so :shock: Your rabbit is more likely to die from gut problems than anything else, so I concentrate on healthy diet and exercise, no stressful visits to the vet if poss, routine, routine and more boring routine, and pray for a good immune system. A lot of it is down to luck - Pepsi died after 4 months when I had done a year of research and thought I knew it all - he ate some roofing felt and got a blockage. And anyway, rabbits take life a day at a time - what they care about is the here and now, enjoying life today, not whether they will live to be 15.

and think with Jelly spayed there would be no domino (awful)! no baby buns looking after the disabled people AND worse pebbles would still be waiting for a new mummy.....stick to your guns gal if your scared dont risk it.... and as jellys had a litter surely the chances of cancer are reduced now

we had a female dog spayed because she was never to be bred and the vet was worried about cancer...

on that subject if i dont plan to have kids should i be spayed?? lolololol

Back