• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Young Buns & Neutering

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
hi
I am hoping to view some young buns, at about 8 weeks old. They will have to be neutered and vaccinated. What age can they get vaccinated? I'm hoping to get one buck and one doe, so will i have to separate them at all? Can you tell me about time periods after neutering before re-bonding? What happens if they don't re-bond? Please help. Just want to clear up any confusion I have about neutering.

Hi

Vaccinations can be done from 10 weeks, you need to leave two weeks between the myxi jab and the VHD, they can't be given together. As for neutering if its male you can get him done as soon as his bits drop which is usually around 12weeks however, if the vet thinks the bunny is a bit small they mght tell you to wait till he's a bit older. As for females most vets I think don't like to do the op till there 6 months old. But each vet is different. I don't know what other people think about getting them young then the neutering process but I would keep them separate till at least the male has been neutered. It takes 8weeks after the males has been neutered before he is sterile so do not put them together till after that time. I don't think many people on here have had many problems with bonding or re-bonding, I only bonded a three and that went fine after they were all neutered. There are quite a few threads to help on this forum about bonding there sooooo useful I followed there advise and all went well.

Good luck, you could always rehome a pair that are already neutered and bonded to make it easier.

Good luck again can't wait to see the photos when you get them :)

thanks for the advice. if i get a bonded pair of youngsters, is the time between the male being neutered and the female being spayed, long enough for them to be together? Does the female become sexually mature before 6 months?

I think Smokey was about 5/6 months old when she started to hit puberty. I had Inky neuterd when he was about 4 months old (he was tiny) and he bonded with Smokey fine. She was spayed at about 11/12months(I wanted to give her time to get over being rescued) and I had no problems rebonding, in fact Inky was thrilled to see her after being separated from her while she was at the vets.

thanks. The male will be sterile at 5 months old if he has his operation at 12 weeks. When will the female become sexually mature? I haven't got enough room for two hutches and 2 runs etc.

In my experience, I didn't need to separate them when Smokey became sexually mature. They had a few fall outs but nothing serious (they still fall out over chew sticks!).

thanks. I'm confused at to times and separation. Can someone please put this right? I don't want to separate them but if i must, i'll do it.

I wouldn't take the risk of keeping them together. Sometimes the males can't be castrated at 3 months old, because their plums haven't dropped yet. If they then get castrated at 4 months, they would certainly still be fertile when the female can get pregnant. I am not sure what the youngest age is for when a female gets fertile, but I imagine it varies just as much as with the males.

so i should have two hutches and two separate runs but close together so they can still see each other? when do you think i should separate them? and how soon after the female is spayed can they be rebonded?

I am not sure. You'd probably have to check the male for plums quite often and rush him to the vets as soon as they have dropped. :D I am not sure how the chances are of two sisters living together as a bonded pair. That would save you the fear of having an unwanted litter of babies.

i think we may get two sisters now. Should I neuter them together? Premusly, I can keep two sisters together when they reach sexual maturity. And can anyone tell me about aftercare for neutering. Thanks.

I am not quite sure, but to me it would make sense to have them neutered at the same time. Maybe you can find a few people here who have more experience with having two bonded sisters. I think some people even have two bonded brothers. The thing is that you can never be 100% sure that they will get along after they have reached their puberty.

Back