• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding myth?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
My friend (mr know it all :evil: ) says that when I bond my two rabbits I must put HER in with HIM in his terriotry!? He says that the bloke he got his two rabbits from (a reputable breeder....apparently)reckons this is what you should do!?

I was going to bond them on neutral ground...

Neutral is the best, but I've been told that if it's not possible then it's advisable to put the pair into the buck's territory rather than in the female's territory. I don't think I'd be brave enough though!!

I think most people try to use neutral territory. But I guess anything is better than the females territory as they are the most territorial. Good luck :D

My friend (mr know it all :evil: ) says that when I bond my two rabbits I must put HER in with HIM in his terriotry!? He says that the bloke he got his two rabbits from (a reputable breeder....apparently)reckons this is what you should do!?

I was going to bond them on neutral ground...

I'd bond on neutral ground to start with, when bonding has gone well I believe it is easier to put the buns into the bucks home .
I did this with my buns and had no problems..

I'm now in the middle of bonding a threesome on neutral ground which they are fine, yesterday I tried to put them into the outdoor shed and the female went and turned on the new male bun.
The female is a lot more protetive than the male.
Hope that makes sense just had 2 glasses of wine :lol: nothing else to do when I'm on bonding bunny watch.

Neutral is definately the best option although if you had to choose then yes, go for the bucks turf as females tend to be more territorial - although coming from a breeder it probably means the females are not spayed and poss had kits to protect in their turf so they will be very territorial. if you are concidering bonding yours I would advice neutral territory it means they meet on equal terms.:D

When breeding you are meant to take the Doe to the Buck, especially a.......Ermmmmmm..... Virgin Buck.....:oops: :oops:
I suspect it was breeding advice Mr K.I.A was given ;)

Janex

When I bonded my two, my new girl was put in Barney's territory. It was impossible for there to be neutral territory anywhere... Barney's made a point of visiting every room of the house, every inch of the garden and a fair bit of the street... :roll:

But then, I'm fairly certain I've done everything experts on bonding recommend doing.

When breeding you are meant to take the Doe to the Buck, especially a.......Ermmmmmm..... Virgin Buck.....:oops: :oops:
I suspect it was breeding advice Mr K.I.A was given ;)

Janex

probably jane yes!! mr know it all also thinks that putting them together on neutral ground is codswallap!:evil: :evil: :evil:

A bucks job is to patrol the colonies lands, so he'll mark the field boundaries and challenge any males that try to invade.

A female protects her warren/nesting chamber - from both males and other females.

So a female is likely to be more aggressive to an intruder in her hutch male or female. Where as a male will attack other males but tend to be more accommodating to a female.

Neutral territory works because it takes both bunnies away from the territory they defend and put's them in neutral territory. It gets rid of the automatic intruder alert/attack vibes.

For intact rabbits when breeding is number 1 priority for them then they're probably to busy er you know to fight so you don't need to go as far as neutral territory.

Tam

He's a little terror :lol: Keeping him occupied is a full time job. He has to have something to do or he creates his own activities (bye bye doormat).

He's doing great though, he's nearly up to 1kg now :shock: Still no sign of any boy bits so we can sort out neutering tho :?

How's Spudsy? Is she well behaved?

Tam

He's a little terror :lol: Keeping him occupied is a full time job. He has to have something to do or he creates his own activities (bye bye doormat).

He's doing great though, he's nearly up to 1kg now :shock: Still no sign of any boy bits so we can sort out neutering tho :?

How's Spudsy? Is she well behaved?

Tam

another little terror here! :lol: out of her cage more than in it as she rattles the cage constantly so you have no choice but to let her out!

enjoys gnawing the skirting board, scratches at the door as her pellets are kept behind the door, but apart from that shes adorable. Jumps on me, nudges me and licks me all good signs!

I can't get her done yet as shes still too small!

Back