• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this suitable for housing?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hello
I am hoping to get some buns soon and I'm planning their housing arrangements. This is what I hope to do:

To put the hutch into a run/pen so they have access to exercise to run about, and it's fox proof and rabbits can't dig out, because it'll be on concrete. First question is: where can i get these pens from or wire panels to attach together? It'll have to be about 3ft tall, 8ft long, and 6ft deep. Also, will the rabbits be able to go on top of the hutch and then fall? :(

I'm planning to give them free-range of garden for an hour each morning and about 2-3 hours each evening. Obviously, I'll be outside, keeping an eye on them and no children or pets will be present at the time.

Also, I'm planning to put them into a separate run on the grass for about 6 hours a day, with at least part of the run shaded. There will be a cover over the top for shade and an animal house for shelter if it rains unexceptedly. I know they'll be able to dig out and foxes can dig in but there will be someone in the house at ALL times. If there isn't someone in the house to keep an eye on them, they'll be put into their hutch until someone is available. Is this a good idea? Here are some pictures of the sort of products I am looking for:

The 6ft hutch:
http://www.mrbuns.co.uk/6ft hutch large.jpg

The animal house for in run:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_hutches/33223

Sorry it's so long. Any pictures of your set-ups will be great. Thanks.

Sounds like a pretty good set up to me.

Yes, your rabbits may be able to climb on the hutch (depending on how high the legs are), so you'll need some sort of roof over the run (you'll need one anyway to stop cats etc.) to stop them escaping.

You can buy aviary panels in places like Jolley's or, if you're handy, you can buy weld mesh and use untreated roofing battens to build a run to your own spec. For weld mesh, you're probably better to try animal feed/farm merchants or independant DIY shops, they tend to be a bit cheaper.

I hope this helps.

FC x

Mr buns made my hutch, and I've got to say it's the best, most solid one I've seen. You could ask him to make the run for you as well and then he can make it high enough to prevent the buns from going on top of the hutch i.e. the run would be just an inch higher than the hutch. If you get him to make both for you just make sure he does the run with weld mesh and not chicken wire though.

That little animal house from zooplus is no good apparently - doesn't last very long and it's tiny - a small hutch would be better but be careful they can't chew off the roofing felt as that's what killed my first bunny - maybe he was just naughty though :(

I have that small shelter in my run and it's still as good as when I first got it, apart from a few small nibbles. My two prefer to sit on top of it, though they have snuggled in there together occassionally.

Back