• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Important announcement regarding Happy Hoppers Rescue U/D Good News!

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all,

Today has been the start of a nightmare for me and Phil and I feel sick to my stomach as i type this.

Misty has been confirmed with Coccidia this morning. The poor girl had Diahorrea and has totally given up, we are doing all we can for her but if their is no improvement by tomorrow she will be PTS once I have spoken to Anita.

As such we have imposed a quarantine of at least 4 weeks until we know we have controlled this outbreak. No rabbit will be coming in or out (except one already sorted and safe) for this period. I know this will affect some people on here but Im too stressed to know who to PM at the moment....if you need to discuss this with me PM me please.

All our rabbits are receiving Coxoid in their water and will do so on full strenght for one week and half strenght for the second. I have disinfected with Jeyes all runs and out door hutches including bowls, bottles and toys this morning and will start on the inside this afternoon. I have also borrowed a steam cleaner.

My main concern is for the indoor rabbits in the spare room as this is where Misty is. There are 6 rabbits here in all, everyone else is so far symptom free.
None of these rabbits will be leaving this room for the next two weeks, despite this meaning they are cage confined but I cannot risk this spreading further.

Everyone who has visited us in the past week has been contacted and informed of our situation and advised to use Harkers for 7 days on their rabbits.

I am disscussing further treatment with Anita tomorrow.

Can anyone think of anything we havnt covered?

Last edited:
How awful for you :( I know what you are going through as one of my foster carers recently had it in a group of babies she took from the RSPCA. Like you she used Coxoid in the waters and scrubbed everywhere with Jayes fluid. She also used a foot dip to stop herself from moving it about. Outside runs should be ok as the eggs are killed off by UV from the sun. Its spread in the urine and feaces so as long as you keep up the cleaning and use the Coxoid you should be ok. Angela also used a probiotic in the waters to keep the bunnies guts in good working order.

Thanks for that I will add some in....didnt know if it was Ok with Coxoid.

Misty is refusing her syringe feeds...is their anyway of getting the coxoid down her, it has to be diluted to some ridiculous weakness, and I dont want to give her too strong a dose and hurt her.

Also found out my vets have stopped providing an emergency service and are now located at vetsnow in Attercliffe!!! Really helpful :evil:

Sorry to hear this :( I had been wondering if Snowy might have brought it to Louise's, but I don't know her history - what do you think, bearing in mind that recovered rabbits are carriers?

I know coxoid is limited in the coccidia it kills, so it's advisable to combine it with sulfaquinoxaline as mentioned in the link http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171332.htm
dosage is given, and treatment for hepatic is different to treatment for intstinal coccidia (they are different types)

Snowy had been at Louises for about 2.5 months before this outbreak and she went straight there from her ex-owners.

It cant be ruled out but I would find it improbable.

According to the Coxoid it cannot be combined with other drugs acting on the same condition....I will check this tomorrow with Anita though.

Snowy had been at Louises for about 2.5 months before this outbreak and she went straight there from her ex-owners.

It cant be ruled out but I would find it improbable.

According to the Coxoid it cannot be combined with other drugs acting on the same condition....I will check this tomorrow with Anita though.

I don't know much about coxoid as all the articles on coccidia I've read say sulfaquinoxaline - coxoid contains amprolium hydrochloride, which according to this article is effective on:
Uses/Indications - Amprolium has good activity against Eimeria tenella, E. acervulina in poultry and can be used as a therapeutic agent for these organisms. It only has marginal activity or weak activity against E. maxima, E. mivati, E. necatrix, or E. brunetti. It is often used in combination with other agents (e.g., ethopabate) to improve control against those organisms.

So unless you can identify the exact coccidia then you can't be sure it will work. Hepatic coccidia is a totally different type. They mustn't receive any multivitamins at the same time either, since amprolium acts by replacing vitamin B in the coccidia, so kills them.

Yes Im waiting to find out what the strain is but until tomorrow this is the best we have :cry:

Im off now to carry on cleaning, Jeyes has given me such a headache :roll:

Update you all later on.

Oh god Sooz what a nightmare!!!

We visited within the last week. Should I disinfect everything here? What should I use and where can I buy it today?

Nicola

Oh no :cry:

Septrin is one abx that can treat coccidiosis. If you have some could you try to contact an out of hours Vet to get them to authorise changing from the Baytril to Septrin

*I am not suggesting you do this without speaking with a Vet first*

I do hope that this wont be another major disease outbreak

Janex

Oh no Sooz I am so sorry - if there is ANYTHING I can do, just let me know. Take care and thinking of you all xx

Back