• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

over - spoiling?

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
When i was 5 and my sister was 14, my parents got us a bunny each, thought they were two girls but ended up being a boy and a girl, cus we ook them the vets the day we gt them for a checkup, and they told us. My sis didnt want to take him back so they lived seperatly (neuturing bunnies was pretty much unheard of tbh) Miffy (my bun) died at 18 months due to mxyi, and Biffy, (my sis's bun) survived it.

Biffy was horrid thought, he wouldnt let anyone touch him and he always attacked me. we still loved him. he was just a pet, we couldnt 'pet'! Anyway, he had musli bunny food, occasional greens when we was doing dinner etc, and that was it. no toys, tunnels, etc etc etc (wasnt much in the way of bunny toys really) he was in no way spoiled and he lived til the ripe of old age of ten, when he also got Myxi.

At 18 i went and got Peanut Butter and Jelly, now 19 i have four altogether, and they are spoiled rotten, and although i do genuinaly believe it makes their lives better....do you sometimes feel like your are overdoing it with your bunny? I would never stop spoiling them hehe, i jus wondered wha you all think?

i always think i over do it lol whenever i go to get hay and rabbit food i always come out with another couple of toys lol i just cant help myself but with my first rabbit Thumper i never spoiled him/her at all he/she never had any toys and to be honest never really got out of his hutch either :? but i was 9 and didnt know any better.

i also go OTT over the slightest things like if the rabbits have an off day with their food im always on the phone to the vets or if they have a slight sore im on the phone to the vets and 9/10 it always turns out to be nothing :shock: lol

the other day me and my mum was in pets at home, and i spent a tenner on toys n she was like, why buy four? just get one! n i went "but they need one each!"
n she laughed n i said "a mum would buy a present for one child n not the other!" she said i have issues lol!

No, I just feel bad for my first bunny. Poor Daisy! Knowing what I know now I know that she was probably bored a lot of the time, and I now firmly believe that children should not have their own pets. I believe they should be family pets but with the child being the primary care giver so that if and when the child looses interest or doesn't know what they're doing someone else with more sense has researched the pet and is ready to stand in or help. my mum just left Daisy to me.

I don't think Charm is too spoilt. I think he deserves all the love and attention I can give him for being such a good bun even after what he's gone through.

I like spoiling them and doing everything I can to keep them healthy and safe :lol:

My sister always had rabbits when she was younger but I never really had anything to do with them because I wasnt really interested. They werent neutered or vaccinated, ate muelsi mix and never had toys. My sister would have fed the yoghurt drops and stuff you get in pet shops too. They were always out of their hutches though and my dad built a massive hutch which I really wish we would have kept. I found a picture of it the other day and it was huge compared to my 6ft ones :shock: And they did get hay and veg.

There is no way my sister went looking for signs of illness though when she checked on them. And im sure the garden wasnt totally bunny proof at that time, they never escaped though. And she didnt check everything she fed them was safe, there would have been poisonous plants in the garden. I dont think one of them ever visited the vets, but they lived until about 6 or 7

I feel sorry for my first bunny! Actually, the first two... I had no idea they liked toys so much. Well.. I gave them toilet tubes.. and one had a teddy until she ate it... :/ But I really sometimes feel as if I let them down by not knowing so much.

They were both girls, and were not spayed or vaccinated. My vet laughed when I suggested vaccines, and I had no idea some vets were more bunny-based than others, so trusted him. And spaying wasn't mentioned in any rabbit books I had - and I'd b ought 6 of them. Having said that, one of my girlies lived until she was about 8. The other was about 5, and had a lot of tooth problems. I try so much harder with my current two, but sometimes feel I let the first two down by not knowing enough. .-.

I also buy toys for each. :oops: Before getting my second rabbit, I bought the exact same number of toys.. and when asked why I didn't take some of Barney's and put them in the new hutch, I got highly offended on his behalf and said he'd never like another rabbit if he thought she was stealing his toys.. and that she needed three, like him, so she didn't feel left out. Everyone laughed.

Biffy was a nasty rabbit, he was so mean!

But then Jelly was like that, until we found out different ways not to handle her etc, and now i think if he existed today, f he was neutured etc he prob wud have been lovely:( or at least nice!

Yeah.. my Bonnie-bunny was a proper moody doe. :( She actually wasn't too bad.. she didn't like me cleaning her hutch and would bite and lunch... but that was my own fault for sometimes keeping her in there whilst I did. And she'd thump her annoyance at being carried back to her hutch. Basically, she was just a typical unspayed doe. She'd probably have been more relaxed if spayed, but I honestly had no idea vets even did that for rabbits up until three years ago..

My buns have their own shed, timothy hay and lots of toys, they get organic veg where possible as well as lot of homegrown herbs, veg and fruit. They are spayed and vaccinated, have access to an outside run. Are the spoilt? No, I don't believe they are, I can't give them 2 acres to run around in, constant fresh grass, I can only do the best I can, but its not like they can ever have a natural existance.

I remember my first buns, think when i was about 10. We had a mix sexed group of about 5 i think neutering being unheard of. Rabbit care is soooooo different these days. They where never vaccinated or had toys, just each other for company though they where never bored. They still had as much space as y buns these days, living in a large pen on the grass, no mesh or anything, they literally dug there own tunnels etc. Now i'm actually amzed they lived aslong as they did snowball lived 6 years this way till some rotten teens let them loose during our move. Me and my friends went out picking bags of dock leaves for them, they ate basic meusli and where given some cabbage or carrot.

My buns now though get much better care, so many toys, tunnels, careful diet, vaccinated, neuterd, a bunny proof living area Informations alot better now. I can't help spoiling them though, alwasy leave with some more toys or somethig when i go to pet shops:lol:

My mum's aunty's rabbits lived to 15 and they were fed on vegetable peelings and lawn clippings! They weren't spayed, vaccinated etc and if they were lucky they got soem nice stuff from the allotment.

My buns are not spoilt, they have a large housing space, the best diet i can provide, and they don't get special toys, I just get them an order from Pampered Piggies every month ( or every two months) but I'lla dmit today I spent £8 on anovelty cat bed for Blue :oops:

During my childhood my family had 3 rabbits - 1 unneutered buck who sprayed ALOT called Frisky, and a mum and daughter :)oops: ) called Spek and Clover. I thought they were lovely, but they were my sisters and Dad's (again :oops: ). Then my sister got a rabbit when I had guinea pigs in our teens (they didn't live together). How we looked after them then is SOOO different to how I look after my Jack and Taz now. I was never a bunny person until I read an article about how bunnies are the most abused pet in the UK. I started researching, fate stepped in when Jack "found" me, and the rest is history :D . I absolutely adore my bunnies, feel much more equipped to take care of them, and enjoy having them. They live in a 8ft x 6ft shed, but I loved having Jack in the house when I first got him. As I don't see him as much now, I definitely spoil them. They have so many toys, and I've just ordered them a new one :oops: They have herbs etc, stuff I never even knew about before. But they are my babies - my other 3 babies (cats) are too old to appreciate toys (ignored so many), so I indulge the bunnies :lol:

Back