• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What makes a lionhead rabbit

Denny

Mama Doe
asking for a friend as she is too embarrassed to ask:lol: :lol: what breed of rabbits are bred to produce a lionhead?

I dont know what origionally went into them to produce the breed on the first place, but Lionheads are a breed in their own right so you breed Lionheads to get Lionheads! :wave: :lol: I dont understand the question too well!

what makes a lionhead

Hi denny:wave: I know a breeder who used to cross dwarf bunnies with cashmeres to get lionheads:shock: :) sometimes they would turn out without manes so just looked like small bunnies:) later she bred some lionheads lops by using a cahsmere lop buck (who i now have) so i guess you could say that orginally lots of different breeds were used to get the standard set by BRC now:)
The lionhead is a fairly new breed & was only reconised by the BRC about 5 years ago (could be wrong on that one) as i remember there was a huge argument as to wether they would have "skirts" (long hair around their bodies) or not:)

thanks everyone, will pass this link onto the person who wishes to know;) interesting reading that link, I am totally confused with these wooly jersey jumpers:lol: , mini angora's:shock: , sounds like a mixture of rabbits went into producing a lionhead:shock:

Shan, my Marcelly is in such a bad moult at the moment he looks like he is wearing MC Hammer pants:lol: :lol: a skirt would be mild compared to what he is wearing:lol: :lol:

Back