• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bee stings

Denny

Mama Doe
After much of a panic at the beginning of the week, I was in the vets thinking that my Eddie bun had got myxi although I had not read anywhere that myxi was itchy:? Anyhow, after a thorough check from the tail to the head, my vet said that it definately wasn't myxi, ear and fur mites were ruled out and no wax models in his ear to be causing this now scabby lump on his head that had become bald from Eddie bun constantly scratching it. He is on baytril just incase of an infection arose (finishes tomorrow) and had to keep up the sudocrem which has stopped him scratching and my vet told me to keep squeezing it incase any pussy galore came out, and told to come back if not getting any better.

I phoned Tracy during the week who said that it could be a sting. Not know which sting was which as in, which sting was which with a bee or a waspy, did at my vet told me, sudocremed him, baytriled him, squeezed him, kissed and cuddle him too:lol: Even Marcel was keeping up the regime of eating the scab off eeewwww:lol: Then, on Thursday or wednesday night (old timers setting in:oops: ), I was putting up a tent in the garden and found a dead baby bee:? Afterwards I did the routine with Eddie bun, I kissed him, cuddle him, baytriled him, squeezed the lump and 2 zit things came out:shock: I phoned a friend (as I was unable to ask the audience as I dont always have access to the pc on the nights at the moment, and 50-50 wasn't an option:lol: ) who said that it definately sounded like a bee sting as this is what it sounded like from when she had bee stings and that bee's imbed thier sting and waspy's just sting.

The speed of Eddie buns recovery is amazing since getting what seems to appear to be 2 bee stings off his head, the lump went down within an hour, the fur has grown back at the rate of notts and the scab has just disappeared, my Bald Eddie eagle is now not bald:D :D

I will be phoning my vets tomorrow to let her know, if Tracy hadn't of mentioned a possible sting I would be non the wiser and back at the vets tomorrow but what I would like to know is, has anyone else had a bee sting and does anyone know if using a sting cream is safe just incase it happens again. I will be asking my vet tomorrow the same thing about the cream as it was obvious that the sudocrem was soothing the itching for him so was wondering if antihistamine (sp) sting relief cream would of been better and if it is safe to use?

Glad he's OK now - I'd be more worried about wasps as they keep on stinging, whereas bees just have one and die, although your rabbit's more likely to meet bees if there's clover in the grass. Hopefully it was a freak accident - one lady here lost her rabbit to a sting in the mouth last month :(

Holy poo, I do have clover growing in my lawn:shock: :shock:

Do you have the link to the lady who lost her bun to a sting Elve? was there any obvious signs that it was a sting as I really wouldn't of thought about a possible sting and neither did my vet, thank heavens Tracy told me what it could be:D

Back