• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

car travel

:wave: Hi guys!

I was wondering if you have any tips for how to make car travel less stressful for buns. As you may know my Ruby is ill with a LRTI and unfortunately isn't getting better.:( However; I have found a fantastic vet in Newcastle I want to take her too but I am worried about the trip, my girls hate the car and have never gotten used to it despite being in it countless times.:? My current vet is only 5 minutes away and they get stressed going there, however this vet is about half an hour away so you can see my concern!:shock:

Any tips or advice on how to keep them calm during the trip? I'll try anything!

Thanks guys :D

Awwwww Jess I know it can be a worry transporting a Bun who gets very stressed.
I know the Vet you are hoping to see is EXCELLENT. I am sure she wont mind if you give her a call and mention how worried you are about the stress for Ruby. Maybe Judith will have some useful tips for making the journey a bit easier.
I would certainly put some familiar smelling bedding in their Pet Carrier. Its a good idea not to have them in a too big a carrier. Travelling Buns feel safer in a confined area. I would also cover the front of the carrier, but ensure there is sufficient airflow. Darkness will feel safer to the Buns.
I would allow plenty of time for the journey. On arrival I'd ask to be able to wait in an area away from dogs/cats. As Judith will want to have a good listen to Ruby's chest it will help if Ruby has time to settle after the journey. She will breathe faster when stressed and that can make listening to her lungs more tricky.

Lots of luck and please let us know how you get on

Janex

ive just took my bun on his first holiday (6 hours drive there and back) he looked all worried and cowering but as soon as he saw romaine lettuce and a chunk of apple he was well happy he even ate some hay (not while moving though)... he pee'd and pooped in the back corner but it was his first time (puppy training pad soaked it up) i put a damp towel on the top of his carrier too because it was warm and it made his area cool and dark.. within 5 mins of being let out he was binkying... i reakon treats will definatley cheer your bun up :D

Thanks guys.:D

Jane, I never thought of asking Judith but that's a great idea, I'm sure she'll help calm Ruby (and Millie who is coming along). I'm looking forward to being able to meet her and have a chat to her about Ruby, it'll be a nice change to some of the morons I've had in the past.:shock:

I was also thinking, do you think I could give the girls a little 'rescue remedy' before the trip as it is supposed to help with stressful situations.:? I was even thinking of playing some 'chill out' music quietly but I didn't know if it would work!:oops: :lol:

Also I was a little worried about Ruby's breathing during the trip as her breathing is faster than Millie's anyway (because of her LRTI), and seeing as she breaths faster when stressed I hope she doesn't have any breathing difficulties.:shock: Although I suppose if I can keep her calmer she will breath slower so that should help.:?

Back