• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thistle hall

drboo

Mama Doe
I know that Thistle Hall is approved by the RWA/RWF, but would the rescues on here approve it for rehoming/fostering? Thanks :wave:

It looks like its a fair size hutch would you be able to attach a run to the front as well as that would be even better.

It looks like its a fair size hutch would you be able to attach a run to the front as well as that would be even better.

Yes you can have a run to the front of it. The fennel fold fits on to it, or you could make one yourself if your DIY is ok.

I guess it depends on the rescue - I know of a couple that hate them because of the risk to rabbits, especially as they get older, with the ramp and the amount of floor space taken up by the hole and the ramp.

I would also say that the RWA allow their logo to be used on products which meet their minimum floor space criteria but they go to great pains to say that they don't actually 'approve' any products.

I have 2 Thistle Halls and think they are ok hutches, certainly fine imo for fostering. I have smallish pairs in mine with runs attached and they all manage the ladders fine, although I did turn them the other way around to make better use of space on the lower floor and took out the bedding devider to make better use of space upstairs. I think they would definately need perminate free access to a run on the front or side of them though. Downsides is the wood is very soft and my buns have chewed theirs to bits already and theya re less than 6 months old, and they can be a bit awkward for cleaning out, the bolts are rubbish and the hinges dropped. Its quite a lot of money to pay for them with the few faults they have but I still say they are a good decent hutch. I do kind of wish in hindsight I had spent my hard saved cash on 2 of the huge one level hutches though, Lavender Lodge I think its called.

They are okay for short term use, Lavender lodge offers more space I think as you have no ramp space. Someone who got rabbits from me recently had a hutch built by a guy who makes sheds, it is at least 6ftx2x2 and was only £80 and it is super. Ask around and see if someone will build one for you :D All my hand made hutches are far superior to any pet store ones. :D

and... I can't believe they still sell these http://www.petsathome.com/invt/8024 and charge £50 for them!!! sometimes people who bring rabbits to the rescue bring these hutches with them!! I put them in the tip :shock:

Last edited:
They are okay for short term use, Lavender lodge offers more space I think as you have no ramp space. Someone who got rabbits from me recently had a hutch built by a guy who makes sheds, it is at least 6ftx2x2 and was only £80 and it is super. Ask around and see if someone will build one for you :D All my hand made hutches are far superior to any pet store ones. :D

and... I can't believe they still sell these http://www.petsathome.com/invt/8024 and charge £50 for them!!! sometimes people who bring rabbits to the rescue bring these hutches with them!! I put them in the tip :shock:

I think it's great that they've put the prices up. I'd be happier if they'd put a bit more of a price hike on to them.

Really... i have 3 of these hutches :cry: only bought the last about a week and half ago. What is wrong with them in your eye's? :?

I've got one with 4 small lionheads in. (Oh and an 8yr old boy:lol: :lol: )They have a permanant run atttached with 24hr access.

RIMG0879.jpg

I've found they spent most of their time all squished into one corner though!:roll: :lol:

IMAG0029.jpg

Hmmm had a look at Lavender Lodge, and see what you mean hunnybun!! Do rescues approve Lavender Lodge? Will contact a few hutch places to see what they can offer.
Sue & Sooty - your lionheads are gorgeous :love:

Really... i have 3 of these hutches :cry: only bought the last about a week and half ago. What is wrong with them in your eye's? :?

The main problem is the size - but even if they were the approved sizing the build quality still isn't that good in my opinion. They are only 4ft long by 16.5" deep and 18.5" high. The RSPCA/RWA both recommend an absolute minimum of 6ft*2ft*2ft to allow sufficient room for natural behaviour and to prevent spinal problems from insufficient height to stretch up, lay in any direction etc. If you do the maths (even without the height), the recommended floor space is 12 square feet; this hutch only provides 5.6 square feet - under half the recommendation for rabbit welfare.

It's also worth mentioning though that they recommend additional run space to go with the hutch, so some people are happier with a smaller hutch as long as there is enough cosy shelter and the overall floor space is sufficient.

The main problem is the size - but even if they were the approved sizing the build quality still isn't that good in my opinion. They are only 4ft long by 16.5" deep and 18.5" high. The RSPCA/RWA both recommend an absolute minimum of 6ft*2ft*2ft to allow sufficient room for natural behaviour and to prevent spinal problems from insufficient height to stretch up, lay in any direction etc. If you do the maths (even without the height), the recommended floor space is 12 square feet; this hutch only provides 5.6 square feet - under half the recommendation for rabbit welfare.

It's also worth mentioning though that they recommend additional run space to go with the hutch, so some people are happier with a smaller hutch as long as there is enough cosy shelter and the overall floor space is sufficient.

are you looking at the right hutch Alison:lol: :lol: have just been out to measure mine and my thistle is just under 4.5foot interior length, 2ft interior width and 22" in interior height on both floors, all except the back is made of tongue and grove, the weld mesh is so thick that it is alot stronger than any hutch I have seen and it is flippin heavy:lol: :lol: :lol: The bolts are abit small and naff but aren't they all on all hutches when first purchased, alot better than these swival blocks of wood you see on some hutches;)

I have to admit though, I dont have the upstairs partition in mine so it gives extra floor space, I only put it in in winter as this is where I find my two huddle up in. Even though mine is permanently open during the night so that they have free range of the wendy house that the hutch is in, I have been out early in the morning to go and get them up and I can tell by the fact the toys have not moved that they have been upstairs asleep all night:lol: :lol: my buns are lazy muggers as I hear them bound downstairs at 9am so I let them have their hay in bed and get them up at 9.30:lol: :lol:

Do read the thread properly Denny :lol:

That was in relation to this, not Thistle Hall: ;)
and... I can't believe they still sell these http://www.petsathome.com/invt/8024 and charge £50 for them!!! sometimes people who bring rabbits to the rescue bring these hutches with them!! I put them in the tip

pmslol:lol: :lol: :lol: and there was my two thinking they had a tape measure to play with this morning:lol: :lol: :lol:

Think I might have to give up the proof reading job:oops: :lol: :lol:

They are just **** really! :shock: :lol: The floors fall out of them, they sway about a bit, we had to put supportive struts on ours to keep the up! ( I have 2 that were donated, but only use them when I really have to!) Once one of them blew down in the wind!! I now have to put heavy stones on them to keep them put! The bolts on them are rubbish too, I have put new fastenings on our ones. They are not fully waterproof if it is torrential rain and I don't feel they keep the cold out very well either. apart from that they are okay!

I bought a thistle hall for my two lionheads to share. I have looked all over the internet and I cant find a better hutch, unless you want to pay £200.
Due to my bunnies fighting I had to buy another hutch. I chose the thistle hall again as I think they are great for space.

I have to admit on one of the hutches I think the hinges have been put on the wrong way as the door falls off if you open it right up but other than that they are fine.

Oh something else - I wanted a waterproof cover for my hutches. I'm not good at making those type of things so unfortunately I had to fork out £55 for each cover as you cant by that size any cheaper. I got my moneys worth though!

Hmmm had a look at Lavender Lodge, and see what you mean hunnybun!! Do rescues approve Lavender Lodge? Will contact a few hutch places to see what they can offer.
Sue & Sooty - your lionheads are gorgeous :love:

We have a lavender lodge....good size but you may need to replace the bolts they are really flimsy and dont last long at all.

Back