• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Midgies, fleas, flies, etc..

duracell

Alpha Buck
What are the best ways of protecting rabbits from these things. I have cats and that is simple cos I just use frontline all year round. I use lavender and an electric zapper for the house and onion and garlick in the garden but what about the buns?

I realise that this is an especially important issue for buns because of the spread of Mixy and flystrike so I want to get it right. So whats the best latest advice.

I put citronella on bits of material which I then tie out of reach to their run to deter flies.

Assisi grooming lotion(from Bunnymail) prevents fleas, so I usually give my lot a quick spray once a week to try to prevent any latching on.

To be honest, there is no substitute for keeping your rabbits and their living area clean. I clean out litter trays twice daily and do bum checks for sticky poos daily.

The most important thing you can do is keep their home clean :D I empty litter trays all the time, if I was home all day I would be changing the litter everytime one of them peed :oops: :lol:

We have a problem with a cat passing on fleas and I havent noticed a single flea on any of the bunnies since I started using Assisi Grooming Lotion on them once a week :D

I use the Buzz Off spray on the hutches and runs when I clean the whole lot properly once a week. My mum actually suggested the other day buying some plants that repel flies and putting them in pots on top of Trip and Scarlett's hutch and around the edges of the roof of Buu's run :D

Just stick me in the house next to the buns!! I seem to get bitten instead of a lot of things :shock: Flies and things seem to prefer me more then a lump of ( well what comes out of rear ends!) So if I'm araound you can pretty much guarantee I'll get bitten instead of any other living thing :shock: :evil: :lol:

:shock: me too!!:lol:
in fact if i walk into someones house who claims they never have fleas or rather they like to thinkthey dont and its only the nextdoor neighbours cat who does......and doesnt flea treat their cat/dog...then ilove showing them how fast he little bloodsuckers appear when im in the vincinity!:lol:

i use advantage flea drops n both kitties and bunnies...i have insect screening at my house windows and if its come off or that window hasnt got it back up yet then i dont open the window.
thankfully i have young cats who i wont alow outside till my garden gets done and i cat proof it..it means i dont leave dors open etc like me mum does so the odd flie may get in but not many at all.
if they do the kitties dispatch them as fast as they do spiders and moths..esp them clothes moths!

when bif had a dirty bum i used to bath her bum in pet tea tree oil shampoo...which i havent done for a while now touch wood!!

Back