• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi vacs

Vix

Alpha Buck
Right to start with its taken me a while to post this as no doubt its going to get very heated but will people please keep it as friendly as possible!

Anyway none of my bunnies are vaccinated, this is nothing to do with money but i have a numer of other worries aout vaccinating my bunnies.
1. I have heard of a lot of vaccinated bunnies getting myxi moreso than none vaccinated bunnies this made me think, hmmm does the vaccination maybe put them more at risk to it on some bunnies?
2. One of my bunnies is rather old/frail and im worried about how it would affect him.
3. Other side effects.

I just want to hear peoples views on this, i may be being totally irrational BUT my rabbits welfare is at the heart of all the decisions i have made.

I vaccinate my rabbits including any non-vaccinated foster buns that I take on. Although it can't guarantee 100% immunity at least a vaccinated nil for an unvaccinated bun. rabbit has a fighting chance against the disease whereas the odds are practically nil for an unvaccinated bun. I don't want to risk it esp as Floss contracted Nodular myxi last year..thank goodness she'd been vaccinated. I've never noticed any side effects either.

The thing with a vaccination, whether its animals or humans...It does not actually stop the disease being contracted, it helps the immune system to fight the disease if contracted. So a vaccinated bun definately has a better chance of surviving than an unvaccinated bun :D

Side effects are a worry with any medication/vaccination but when weighed up with the chances of what could happen if its not given its def worth it:D

What about the fact that there seems to be more vaccinated bunnies contracting myxi than non vaccinated, just a coincidence or is there ANY chance that the vaccine would put them at greater risk of getting it? :?

What about the fact that there seems to be more vaccinated bunnies contracting myxi than non vaccinated, just a coincidence or is there ANY chance that the vaccine would put them at greater risk of getting it? :?

I personally think its just because there is a wave of it going across the country this year. Its like human flu - some years there are only a few mild strains and most people fight it off and then like the year before last (I think) there was a really aggressive strain and it killed quite a number of people.
Diseases/viruses are constantly mutating and so its pot luck as to what the year will hold:?

1. I have heard of a lot of vaccinated bunnies getting myxi moreso than none vaccinated bunnies this made me think, hmmm does the vaccination maybe put them more at risk to it on some bunnies?

Are you hearing online? A lot of online people on forums/email lists are well educated so have their bunny vaccinated. If they were unvaccinated there would be a much higher number of cases reported. Although it seems like a lot of vaccinated rabbits have got it this year we're still talking a tiny portion compared to those vaccinated.

Vaccination doesn't protect against all strains - a lot of vaccinated rabbits getting it are getting an atypical variety that doesn't cause the normal symptoms instead rabbits get lumps. Usually this form of myxi isn't fatal.

Vaccination also relies on an immune response so if the rabbit has a compromised immune system the vaccination won't work.

A vaccinated rabbit has a much much higher chance of survival if they get myxi.

Tam

I was going to say what Tamsin has said - yes, we've sadly heard of lots of vaccinated bunnies getting myxi this year, but I would imagine that the vast majority of rabbits who succumb will be unvaccinated - we just don't hear about them on the forum as much.

Back